Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampisa with 3rd pregnancy?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Preeclampisa with 3rd pregnancy?

Postby BriBri89 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 02:47 pm

by BriBri89 (1 Posts), Fri Mar 21, 2014 02:47 pm

Hi, my name is Bri. I found out, 6 months after my second son was born we are pregnant with our 3rd! and im terrified of getting preeclampsia again. My first was born 3 years ago. Around 32 weeks I started swelling and my blood pressure started slowly going up but never had any protein found. I felt completely fine but was being closely monitored. After my blood pressure got to 150/90's at 37 weeks. I went to the ER and my blood pressure was up and there was protein in my urine, so I was induced that night and my son was delivered the next day by c section. He was completely healthy... but after he was born I spent a week in the hospital with my blood pressure spiking to 215/140. It finally returned to normal 3 weeks after my son was born. When my son turned 2 we decided we wanted another. I had a very easy pregnancy with no preeclampsia. My blood pressure stayed 110s/70s or less until the last last weeks it went to 120/80. I felt very lucky to have such an easy pregnancy and we decided we were happy with 2 boys we had and didn't want anymore. Well very unexpectedly but happily found out we were pregnant again only 6 months after my second was born! Im now 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd son. So far everything is going great! I was wondering if anyone had a normal pregnancy after preeclampsia and then got it again. or if theres less of a chance of preeclampsia after a normal pregnancy. I just feel like im waiting for it to happen again and theres no way I can get lucky twice and not got it :/ Thanks for any help or advice :))
BriBri89

Re: Preeclampisa with 3rd pregnancy?

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

by MomTimesThree (563 Posts), Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

I'm not sure about specific odds regarding pre-eclampsia skipping a pregnancy- but I think a great sign that your second went well- pre-eclampsia is more common in a first pregnancy.

There is also some indication that closely spacing children after pre-eclampsia can be a protective factor- there are have been some posts on the subject which you can find using the forum search.

Best,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced