Bed Rest Again

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Bed Rest Again

Postby Bmommy » Sat May 10, 2014 01:07 am

This has been a rough pregnancy. I am 31 weeks pregnant today and on week 2 of official bed rest b/c of my BP, but I have been on and off of bed rest since about 24 weeks. This pregnancy started off with high BP readings from the very beginning and I started Procardia at the beginning of the 2nd trimester. It did its job and then at 24 weeks I started having a lot of stomach pains, my entire stomach would tighten, and the pain would be around a 7 one day and then the next day I would be fine. An extensive ultrasound showed lots of gall stones but my pain was not the typical gall bladder pain and the on-call DR that weekend put me on Loratab (a Pain killer) and sent me home on a weekend of bed rest. This pain came and went for about a month and I would take the Loratab and spend a day on bed rest as the pain presented itself until at 28 weeks and 2 days when the pain was a 10 and I was vomiting constantly. We rushed to the ER b/c I felt myself getting severely dehydrated and sure enough the pain that my Drs could not figure out turned out to be an umbilical hernia and my intestines had become pinched off (reason for all the vomiting). They rushed me into surgery and everything turned out fine with me and the baby, after a couple of days of monitoring I was sent home on pain meds and bed rest. Really the healing part was very similar to a C-section healing. However when I came off the pain meds my BP shot through the roof. I am now taking 3 Procardias a day and 3 Labetalols a day! My BP is good about 1 hr after taking the meds and it lasts for 3-4 hrs, then it starts to rise again. I am on strict bed rest at home for the last 2 weeks and my protein has been at a 2 for that time. It looks like this little man is probably going to come early, but we have not been given any steroid shots yet.

I spent 4 weeks on bed rest with my first pregnancy and she came out at 35 weeks when my BP couldn't be controlled anymore and my protein levels were too high. She had both steroid shots. She was fine, never went to the NICU, and at 5 weeks early weighed 5lbs 14oz. She did have a year's worth of physical therapy for a delay in gross motor skills.

With our second pregnancy, I had some early on BP issues and a bleed, but no hospitalization problems and no medications. At 36 weeks the BP and protein started rising and he was born at 37 weeks, but had no steroid shots. He was 8lbs 8oz at 3 weeks early! However, he spent 9 days in the NICU b/c he popped a lung, had to have a blood transfusion, and had a heart murmur. He recovered well, but he also had to have a year's worth of physical therapy b/c of a delay in gross motor skills.

A few questions:
(1) Has anyone else noticed a correlation b/n high BP/PE and a delay in gross motor skills?
(2) If my DR doesn't give me the steroid shot on my next visit (I go weekly) should I go ahead and request it?
(3) What are your opinions/experiences with being on the medications for so long? Side effects with baby?
Mommy to:
Aylin Jewel (May 2009), born via emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to PE
Hilton Isaiah (June 2012), born via emergency c-section at 37 weeks due to PE
and
Weston Julian (due July 2014)
Bmommy

Re: Bed Rest Again

Postby alviarin » Sun May 18, 2014 04:21 am

1). Not that I have noticed/heard, other than prematurity or growth restriction resulting in some delays. All my kiddos were ahead of schedule or on target. I was only on Procardia for chronic hypertension during my latest pregnancy though.

2). With your history it's probably a good idea to discuss possible risk/benefits with your doctor. I'd want to know if my doc thought the steroid shot was a good idea (or not) and why.

3). I had no side effects with Procardia during my third pregnancy. I did have some extra ultrasounds to check on baby's growth since over medicating can cause growth restriction. I also was on narcotics like Lortab during my second pregnancy at times due to bad migraines and no issues there either.

How often are your appointments now? With the protein and high pressures have they diagnosed you as preeclamptic?
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?