Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Complications following possible HELLP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re: Complications following possible HELLP

Postby caryn » Wed May 21, 2014 02:27 am

by caryn (10131 Posts), Wed May 21, 2014 02:27 am

Her recovery trajectory sounds fairly similar to one of our former mods, Catherine - who was in ICU for 10 days IIRC, with multiple transfusions and dialysis before her kidneys kicked back on. It can be tricky to balance the effects magnesium sulfate that is often administered to lower risk of seizure with the low kidney output, but if that is the case things do tend to stabilize and the docs are quite familiar with the issue.

I hope she continues to trend better. This is always such a rough landing for mother and baby - I am glad she has your support.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby tanikit » Wed May 21, 2014 06:15 am

by tanikit (22 Posts), Wed May 21, 2014 06:15 am

Thanks - that is good to know - it is very trying. She had another blood transfusion yesterday and was sounding slightly brighter by evening. I don't know all the drugs she is on but everything is very up and down right now. Her husband is looking at increasing the medical aid policy (not sure if this is even possible but they will definitely need it - hospital is fully covered but they will need more doctors visits once both are released). Her blood pressure has lowered (was more than 160/110 at one point and also irregular and is now about 140/90 but this is obviously still too high).
tanikit

Postby tanikit » Wed May 21, 2014 03:16 pm

by tanikit (22 Posts), Wed May 21, 2014 03:16 pm

They have dropped the dialysis now to 4 hours a day which means she has been able to get to her baby again. I think that and the transfusion definitely helps as she says she is feeling much better today.
tanikit

Postby tanikit » Thu May 22, 2014 08:44 pm

by tanikit (22 Posts), Thu May 22, 2014 08:44 pm

Still in ICU but my SIL has been able to see her baby with her in a wheelchair today. Baby is doing well still. My SIL is hoping to be out of ICU by the weekend and into a normal ward for the time being. Baby has dropped to 1.2kg which is to be expected - I think here they only release them at 2kg as they need to be able to fit into the car seat safely when leaving the hospital so it will be a while before he is released.
tanikit

Postby tanikit » Sat May 24, 2014 10:21 am

by tanikit (22 Posts), Sat May 24, 2014 10:21 am

Haven't heard too much the last couple of days - my SIL was doing ok, but have heard today that her blood pressure is again high (160/110) and that they are thinking of yet another platelet transfusion, so she remains in ICU - I know she was keen to get out of there and there was talk of it, but she seems very up and down all the time. The baby continues to do well and has picked up about 40g since he dropped, so if he can just keep gaining weight they will be happy. This is her 9th day in ICU now.
tanikit

Postby tanikit » Sun May 25, 2014 06:07 pm

by tanikit (22 Posts), Sun May 25, 2014 06:07 pm

My husband and I went to visit my SIL today - it was the first time I have seen her since her baby was born. She seemed upbeat and had a positive attitude, though I am sure she is still struggling. She is still very very swollen and is extremely bruised - every single place they have touched her she has bled - every single prick and scar shows severe bruising. She does not know how many transfusions she has had but feels like there cannot be anymore of her own blood left in her. She spoke positively about her baby - he is picking up weight and she is expressing milk though also using milk from the milk bank as she is not expressing enough to keep him growing well enough yet. She is hoping to be able to feed him properly herself (no tubes) when he is around 1.5kg (he is 1.27kg now). She has been off dialysis since Saturday but her creatinine has been rising and she is praying that it goes down and does not continue to rise (else they may need her back on dialysis). I am not sure what measurement they use for platelets - she had another transfusion when it was at 7 (what this means I do not know) and it went to 8.3 which was ok but not close to normal even. Her kidneys are functioning though too much at the moment - like they are trying to kick back into action and not getting it right yet so they have had to increase her fluid to stop her dehydrating - not sure what is happening with her proteins. She says she sleeps very badly in ICU with all the lights and machines and wants to get home just to sleep but is keeping herself busy with TV, books and making things for the baby. It was nice to see her - she really has been through a lot and she could be in hospital a fair amount still depending what happens from here on.
tanikit

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon May 26, 2014 06:50 am

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Mon May 26, 2014 06:50 am

What a road they have been on! I'm so thankful to hear that she and baby are making positive, albet slow, progress. Thanks for continuing to update. I'm keeping them in my thoughts and hoping a quiet restful (as possible!) sleep in her own bed at home is in the near future.

Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby tanikit » Tue May 27, 2014 06:46 pm

by tanikit (22 Posts), Tue May 27, 2014 06:46 pm

Still in ICU and some disappointment is setting in now (hers and her parents I think) since there was talk of being out by Saturday and its now Tuesday. The baby is doing well and weighs more than he did at birth - there is talk that he may only remain there another 3 weeks (but again this can go up and down too) My SIL was not feeling well today - she is taking sleeping tablets now due to the lack of sleep, she has low magnesium so they are having to sort that out and her blood pressure is still very high despite the tablets they are giving her for it. Could not get news on her creatinine levels today. She is having some pain around the site where the dialysis was inserted and I have told them to tell her to speak to a doctor (and not just a nurse about it) as that has been there for a while and it needs checking not just pain killers. She is trying to see her baby twice a day and also when with her baby she gets to see her husband a bit more as in ICU she is limited to seeing him during visiting hours, but in the NICU they can be together more. She did get to see him being bathed today but is too weak to do it herself yet.
tanikit

Postby MomTimesThree » Tue May 27, 2014 08:37 pm

by MomTimesThree (571 Posts), Tue May 27, 2014 08:37 pm

My goodness, what a rollercoaster. I really can't even imagine how difficult these days have been for her- and the whole family- especially when you think you'll be out one day and then find yourself still stuck a few days later.

My thoughts continue to be with her and your family.
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby tanikit » Wed May 28, 2014 06:25 pm

by tanikit (22 Posts), Wed May 28, 2014 06:25 pm

My SIL sent an sms to say she is out of ICU now and they have put her back in the maternity ward so that she can visit her baby (not something they normally do when you are no longer pregnant but sick). Have no details about what changed, but I am sure everyone is relieved. I imagine that her creatinine must have dropped since this was the criteria for getting out of ICU. At least this is positive news. Waiting for more updates.
tanikit

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced