PE in second pregnancy only!?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Maplecat6

Re: PE in second pregnancy only!?

Postby Maplecat6 » Mon Nov 01, 640213 5:39 am

I'm sorry for the loss of your daughter. I had two healthy pregnancies and then developed Eclampsia at 27 weeks with my daughter. We also lost her. Underlying conditions all came back negative for me as well. I almost wanted something to turn up because then there would be a reason. I know that it doesn't really work that way, but the not having any clue why this happened to my baby, my pregnancy, and me can be incredibly difficult.

There is so much unknown about this disorder. I'm glad you have an appointment coming up with a MFM. It really helped answer our questions about the future.

My next pregnancy was tracked very closely and all was normal. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant again and at the moment everything looks normal. Subsequent pregnancies are hard, but there is always hope that things can go smoothly.
Amy, mom to almost 5
Quinn, 4/28/06, no complications
Lou, 5/8/09, no complications
Rosie, 3/13/11-3/29/11, eclampsia at 27 weeks and then died from NEC
Sara, 5/3/12, no complications other than an obscene amount of monitoring
Baby #5 due in 2/15

uncskristy

Postby uncskristy » Sun Oct 31, 640213 11:43 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I believe there's nothing worse than losing a child. My first pregnancy in 2007 with my oldest son Davis was perfect. I expected the same with my second pregnancy with my middle son Cooper. I should have known something was wrong when the second trimester came along and I was feeling horrible April 30th 2010 I had my last OB appt where my BP was normal and there was no protein. Over the next next two and half weeks I would swell up, become so uncomfortable and at 23 weeks 5 days I woke up one morning to blood because my placenta had started to tear away. We ended up at a university hospital and found out I had developed severe PE. At 24 weeks 2 days we had to deliver Cooper or we both would have died. I think my case surprised the who7le MFM and OB dept at he hospital- The dramatic differences between the two pregnancies. I wish I could tell you the pain gets better. It's doesn't. You get stronger. We did go on and have a third child. Blaine was born in 2011 at a day shy of 36 weeks. My BP had gotten to 140 and there was a trace of protein that was starting to show in the 24 hr test so I don't think i met the clinical definition of PE but we delivered to be on the safe side.
So yes you are not the only one out there. Stay strong for your oldest daughter. And please let me know if you have any questions for me.
Kristy
Mommy of Three Boys- Davis 10/4/2007(No PE, overbaked at 40wks, 2 days),
Cooper 5/20/2010-5/21/2010 (born too early at 24wks, 2 days due to severe PE) and
Blaine 10/11/11 (35wks, 6 days, mild but quick moving PE)
Wife to Matthew since 6/11/2005

laney_p
Forum Moderator

Postby laney_p » Thu Oct 21, 640213 11:45 pm

Hi molcar21:

I am so sorry for all that you have been through. It sounds like an incredibly difficult pregnancy and something no parents should ever have to experience. Just devastating; I am so sorry for your loss. Preeclampsia CAN happen in second pregnancies, even with the same partner, although you are correct in saying that it is more rare, especially if you have not had it in the first. I actually know of a couple volunteers for the Foundation who had the same thing happen with no prior history of the disease, so you are definitely not alone! I'm going to bump this page to our Facebook page and ask our community to hop on here and let you know if they've experienced something similar.

Sounds like you are taking good steps to talk with an MFM, who can also help assess if there might be an underlying issue (things like autoimmune conditions) which might have contributed to your sudden experience in a second pregnancy with preeclampsia. The good news is, many women do go on to have successful future pregnancies after preeclampsia, it just usually involved careful monitoring and cooperation with good health care providers.

How are you doing now emotionally? Seems like your physical recovery is getting there, but if you'd like to talk to someone, please let us know! We have volunteers experienced in infant loss with whom we can connect you offline as well as here on our great community.

Hugs,
L
Director of Community Relations for the Preeclampsia Foundation
*does not provide any medical advice*
for more information, please visit www.preeclampsia.org

La Directora de las Relaciones con la Comunidad
*no ofrece consejo médico*
Se habla español
Para mas información, por favor visite: www.preeclampsia.org/es

molcar21

PE in second pregnancy only!?

Postby molcar21 » Mon Oct 11, 640213 3:17 am

I am 28 years old with a sweet two year old girl. My entire pregnancy with her was textbook. Nothing out of the ordinary, my water broke at 38 weeks and I had delivered her vaginally with no problems. Recovery there were no issues. I became pregnant with my second daughter in January this past year. This pregnancy was different in some ways but not much. I started putting weight on quicker in the second trimester, sometimes five pounds a week. My stomach never ever got big and round, just "fluffy" looking. When I was 7 months you still couldn't tell and for a second pregnancy I found it strange. My ultrasounds she looked good, but always measured over a week smaller. Around 25 weeks my feet started to swell after working all day. I never had swelling with dd#1, but I'm also on my feet more, so I didn't think anything of it. I noticed I was getting pockets of fat on my back I never had before. I'm small framed so they were easy to see. At 28 weeks I developed an awful headache that included nausea and vomiting. I never had a migraine before, but it was over in 24 hours and I called my OB about it, nothing was thought to be awry. 29 weeks I developed pain in my abdomen, vomiting, swelling in my face and legs, and complete exhaustion. 30 weeks I went to my OB appointment my bp was sky high and I was spilling so much protein. I was sent right to the hospital were I was in multi organ failure and my sweet daughter had passed in utero. She suffered IUGR. After an emergency c-section and a month on BP meds I have made a full recovery. My kidney function is back to normal and I am on no medications, I feel great. I am so thankful to be alive.
I am just at a loss as to why this happened. In my second pregnancy, with the same father. It is so very rare, and I can't help but to feel so angry about it. Have you every heard this happening in a second pregnancy only and being so severe? I am meeting with MFM in a few months, because we are going to try again. I was tested in the hospital for any underlying disorders and they all came back negative. While I am scared for future pregnancies, I remain optimistic.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”