Post Reply FAQ Members Login

feeding question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

feeding question

Postby lola1971 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 am

by lola1971 (174 Posts), Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 am

My preemie is now about 4 1/2 months old and about 2 months old CA.

The last 24 hours she has been eating only about an ounce every 3 hours at every other feeding. A typical day is closer to 2 ounces every 3 hours. So she is eating a little less. She doesn't have a fever, doesn't act sick. She is on Enfacare formula. No changes to her bottles, nipples or really anything else. Sometimes when we try to feed her, she moves her head back and forth. I can't tell if she is playing or not really hungry or just looking around. I noticed if she is really hungry then she will pretty much stay still and drink her whole bottle.

In the past, there has been feedings where she's only had an ounce but would go back to normal.

anyone have this issue? I can't tell if it's a preemie thing, her thing or what. The last time we weighed she was 9lbs (12/4) and was gaining weight appropriately. So I would guess she is about 9 1/2 lbs nowl.

I don't know if I should worry or not.
lola1971

Re : feeding question

Postby crystalw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 01:51 pm

by crystalw (539 Posts), Mon Dec 14, 2009 01:51 pm

I wouldn't really worry to much just yet.. if she doesn't start eating better the next couple days you could call your pedi. But she may just have started teething and when she rubs her gums back and forth it might feel good. Or she might just be more interested in her surrondings nowadays. :) Also have you started any cereal or anything because sometimes the introduction of solids can make them refuse their milk.
crystalw

Return to Parents of Preemies