Post Reply FAQ Members Login

when did your preemie start crawling etc?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

when did your preemie start crawling etc?

Postby cmuise » Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:35 pm

by cmuise (4 Posts), Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:35 pm

I have a preemie who is 9 months (7 months corrected age) who still isn't crawling, or even sitting up by herself (for any length of time anyway). I know that the doctors said she may be behind a couple of months because of being premature but I'm worried that 7 month old babies do these things by now. She just started rolling over on her stomach a couple of weeks ago. Other than this issue she is bright and active but I just worry that something could be wrong! Has anyone else been through this?
cmuise

Re : when did your preemie start crawling etc?

Postby mommy2maddie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 am

by mommy2maddie (147 Posts), Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 am

My daughter was born at 29 weeks and she didn't start crawling until 11 months, she had to go to OT and PT for about 6 months but eventually she got it. I learned not to push her, that she would do it when she was good and ready. I also always got the weird looks when people said "Oh I bet your daughter is walking all around" and I would have to say no she isn't even crawling yet, and people make you feel like it is your fault, but its not, they just don't understand about preemies, even some docs don't. Anyways, sorry for the rant, my daughter didn't pull to stand until 13 months and she didn't walk until she was 17 months. It took awhile but eventually she did all the "normal" things, and yours will too, don't worry, she will do it when she is good and ready!
mommy2maddie

Postby julieb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 am

by julieb (364 Posts), Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:18 am

Mason was born at 28w6d and he did not crawl until he was 13 months old! After he learned to crawl he started pulling up and cruising pretty quickly and was walking by 18 months. We were getting PT and without PT I don't think he would have crawled as soon as he did, he had very stiff muscles and limited range of motion that we really had to work on with stretches and strengthening exercises. He is almost 3 and is still a little behind in gross motor but in general he is doing very well now!
julieb

Postby sarab » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:55 am

by sarab (2950 Posts), Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:55 am

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Like Alissa and Julie's kiddos, my daughter was also very late with the physical milestones. She was born at 29 weeks, did not crawl until 14 months, and did not walk until 21-22 months. She was in PT for about a year, and eventually picked up everything just fine - just much later than most other kids. At the time, naturally, it was stressful and I worried that she would always be behind. She is now a happy, healthy 6 year old, who is in soccer and gymnastics. She is still very small for her age, so she doesn't run quite as fast as the others in soccer, and isn't quite as coordinated as some of the girls in gymnastics, but she doesn't notice in the slightest and loves every minute of it.

These little ones have been through so much already, it's not uncommon for them to have some delays. Try to not to worry too much about it - easier said then done, I know! If she continues progressing slowly, you could discuss with your doctor the possibility of getting her into physical therapy.
sarab
Site Admin

Postby mom2miracles » Wed Apr 28, 2010 08:00 pm

by mom2miracles (21 Posts), Wed Apr 28, 2010 08:00 pm

I'm with the other ladies. Ethan was a 28 weeker but was in the hospital for 9 mths and was bedridden for the first 5 mths. He started sitting at 19 mths (16 adjusted) and is just now standing at 23 mths (20 adjusted). It will be a while before he walks but he has eventually done everything that every other kiddo does. It's frustrating at times, but I try to stay positive and think of it as a little extra snuggle time since he's not a crazy walker yet! ;-) He has been in PT for a year and has made huge progress also. Hang in there!
mom2miracles

Postby joker » Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 am

by joker (1212 Posts), Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 am

Alison was six weeks early and what I noticed is that she hit all of her milestones according to her adjusted age. For example, she started to sit unassisted at 6-7months, adjusted age of 4-5months. She started crawling around 10months, adjusted age 8.5months. she is still on this pattern with development. And I agree with pp, don't worry yourself too much, she will do it, it might just take her a little longer.
joker

Postby miracle_momma » Tue May 04, 2010 03:54 pm

by miracle_momma (11 Posts), Tue May 04, 2010 03:54 pm

my little one is a little over a month old (she was 5 weeks early), my due date was may 2... she can already roll onto her stomach and moves her legs and arms like she wants to crawl.... as soon as she can hold her head and body up for an extended period of time she will be crawling.. she moves herself a little bit but cant lift herself up yet
miracle_momma

Postby jayme » Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 am

by jayme (139 Posts), Thu May 13, 2010 12:50 am

My twins are 11 months- they were two months early. One is crawling, pulling up, etc
The other, still scootching. He just started sitting up as well, when the other did it a couple months ago.
jayme

Postby mama_moo05 » Fri May 14, 2010 09:24 pm

by mama_moo05 (7 Posts), Fri May 14, 2010 09:24 pm

my son was born at 33 weeks and started to crawl at 8 months and walked a week after his first birthday. all my other kids did these things early.
mama_moo05

Postby glimmer » Mon May 17, 2010 00:49 am

by glimmer (173 Posts), Mon May 17, 2010 00:49 am

I think you should really listen to your instinct.
I think it's not unusual at all to not crawl or sit at 7 or 9 months.
But if you think your child is delayed beyond the normal, you might be right. However, it seems a bit too soon to worry too much.
glimmer

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies