Post Reply FAQ Members Login

hearing aids?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

hearing aids?

Postby kdreher » Fri May 21, 2010 09:29 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Fri May 21, 2010 09:29 am

Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with hearing loss and a child wearing hearing aids.

Michael failed his newborn screening in 08, March 09 diagnosed with a mild-moderate hearing loss in right ear, 3 weeks ago follow up revealed high frequency hearing loss in both ears so yesterday at the 2nd appt we discussed and molded him for hearing aids. He is 18 mos and hardly says any true words. Lots of sounds, etc. He is being seen through our state Early Intervention and now on waiting list for Speech Therapy...but I'm going through a hosp for speech as well using my insurance as we have no idea how long it'll take via the EI program.

I'm 100% fine with him being aided as a preemie I know that he could have many other issues. I wish his father wasn't so ignorant about why the aids are a good thing (but that's another topic).

So, just looking for any tips, support, good book to read, etc. My best friend since 3rd grade is an audiologist so it's been a real help to have her to lean on too.
kdreher

Re : hearing aids?

Postby kdreher » Tue May 25, 2010 09:27 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Tue May 25, 2010 09:27 am

Surprised no one has had any experience with this...or even suggestions?
kdreher

Postby jamie w » Tue May 25, 2010 04:14 pm

by jamie w (978 Posts), Tue May 25, 2010 04:14 pm

I do not have any personal experience but have a good friend who now has both of her kids wearing hearing aids. Theya re 6 yrs old and 2 yrs old. I could see if she would be able to help if you would like. Let me know.
jamie w

Postby kellyo19 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 07:00 pm

by kellyo19 (192 Posts), Sat Jun 05, 2010 07:00 pm

I grew up w/ HA's. I was 7 wks premie, diagnosed at age 3. There's a book that's a little older but has helpful tips on hearing loss, hearing aids, and coping strategies: When The Hearing Gets Hard. The hearing aid selection for specific types of models is probably outdated but the general ideas should help.
kellyo19

Postby catherine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:03 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:03 am

I can't help on the hearing aid aspect of things but Lucy went through 2 years of speech therapy (between 3-5) to catch her back up after an unknown period of compromised hearing as a consequence of tiny eustacian tubes + poor drainage. That was delivered via our local school system's early intervention program and it made a huge difference. Lucy's most obvious issue at the time was her incomprehensibility but when she went for the full assessment they were able to show me where she had developed "holes" in her linguistic development probably because she couldn't hear correctly.

Based on our experience I would say that there are deep developmental reasons why you want to support his language and development with every mechanism possible, mechanical and otherwise. I would also ask about the local school system program. He may be too young yet to participate, Lucy was diagnosed about three weeks before her third birthday and they started at 3. She was provided with two therapy sessions/week at her daycare provider (though they'd have come to our house if I was a SAHM)at no cost to us and she stayed until she tested out.... way out.... so far out that now she articulates very clearly and sings well so that nobody would ever guess that she'd had so many problems when she was younger.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies