Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Life Insurance

This forum includes topics that don't fit neatly in other areas. Also home to our Weight Loss Buddies support group.

Life Insurance

Postby jend01 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 01:27 pm

I have heard a few stories about people having a really hard time getting life insurance. So today when I opened an account with a local credit union and they offered me a no (medical) questions asked policy for $3 a week (benifit amount $14000) which could be increased to $22 a week (benifit amount $100,000) I took it. I have never really though about life insurance and I don't know much about it. I figured it would be tough for me to get a good rate because of my high bp and kidney scaring. It is whole life insurance and garunteed to never decrease in coverage or increase in price.

Is this good?

I was kind of surprised that they would just give it to me without asking any medical questions.
jend01

Re : Life Insurance

Postby riehlism » Wed Aug 11, 2010 01:36 pm

I never thought about how hard it might be to get life insurance. I purchased mine a few years ago and it pays out 5 times my annual salary. No medical questions either. I was single when I purchased that. But I think I'm also going to purchase the extras in that plan to include my immediate family. When my son died this year I was under the impression that the insurance I purchased included family, so that it can pay for funeral costs. But I guess I didn't sign up for that option, since I was single at the time. Immediate family under my plan is covered up to $15,000. I pay $20 bi-weekly for my plan.
riehlism

Postby amandaoasis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 02:09 pm

I got a $250,000 term policy with New York Life last year with medical questions and tests. There were no problems and I actually scored in the lowest risk group. I was surprised to say the least!
amandaoasis

Postby jend01 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 02:10 pm

That is a nice opyion to have, I am going to have to look into it a little more. I pretty much just took what I was offered today because of fears about having to pay way to much or not get accepted at all for life insurance. I also have coverage from work that pays 1.5 times my salary. I do not pay anything for that and I have an option to increase that for a small weekly deduction. It really SUCKS that this is something that we have to take into consideration before deciding to have another baby! I do have a small sence of relief now though knowing that there is a decent amount of coverage.
jend01

Return to Misc