Locked FAQ Members Login

How Sick Will I Be Before They Will Deliver?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

How Sick Will I Be Before They Will Deliver?

Postby tencat » Wed Feb 12, 2003 06:12 pm

I am currently in the hospital for mild preeclampsia. I live too far away to do bedrest at home. I have not had the problem of high blood pressure. My pressures are consistently low or average. I only had two high readings 165/95, 150/90 (those got me here). I have excess protein in the urine, and I have normal liver enzyme and platelet counts. But, I am really worried about how sick I will get before they consider delivery. I'm at 34 weeks 2 days right now, and I have had a couple blood tests showing increases in LDH that have fallen back down into the normal range a few days later. I have a 'feeling' (not terribly scientific, I know) that sooner delivery would be better than later. How sick will they let me get before they'll deliver the baby?
tencat

Re : How Sick Will I Be Before They Will Deliver?

Postby annegarrett » Wed Feb 12, 2003 07:46 pm

It all depends on you and them...but I will ask our expert on call to weigh in and give you his perspective. I know it is really scary. They must think it is serious or they wouldn't be keeping you in the hospital. This is not a disorder to mess with but at the same time--if they can keep your blood pressure relatively normal, and watch you, and track your proteinuria, then you could go a bit longer. Given that you are there at 34 weeks--I think it unlikely you will go to 40. I know they like to get women to 36-38 so they feel she is at term...but you are in the right place, they clearly are taking this seriously and we are here to talk with when you feel nervous so hang in there. There is a great great resource for women on bedrest...if you have access to the internet I would recommend them. www.sidelines.org They are all about bedrest support.

Take care--let us know if there is anything more we can do.

Anne
annegarrett

Re : How Sick Will I Be Before They Will Deliver?

Postby annegarrett » Thu Feb 13, 2003 04:14 pm

Your Doctor seems to be watching you very closely. You are in the hospital so that any change in your status can be found immediately. This is good.

You are also 34 weeks. This is also good. If you needed to have your baby right away , it would be expected to do well. If delivery is delayed for 10 days or so, you may be able to take your baby home with you without it needing any or much time in the NICU. Usually, a doctor will decide to deliver if BP's become high or if the labs become more abnormal or if the baby is not doing well. Best wishes.

A Perinatologist in Washington State

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure". Responses generated by our Experts to specific questions are based on information anonymously submitted to this site via email, are not based on a complete review of any patient’s medical records and should not be construed as the only reasonable expert response to the info submitted and/or the scenario described.
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experts