Post Reply FAQ Members Login

HEADACHES AND BP NUMBERS......

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

HEADACHES AND BP NUMBERS......

Postby sherry fisher » Sat Nov 22, 2003 07:18 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Sat Nov 22, 2003 07:18 am

I have been having HORRIBLE headaches EVERYDAY! I have tried the quiet, dark, tylenol, etc.. When I called my OB she stated that my BP's are "Not high enough to cause headaches". We STILL do not have my meds regulated right. So, I have been going through this pregnancy since 8 weeks with a high BP. Usually 140's/150's over upper 90's. I am now on labetalol 3 times a day at 200mg each. My OB does wants to stick with one med right now because she says if we go to two then that will "limit her options later in the third trimester". I guess my question is this......How high does my BP have to get before it is considered a 'BP headache'? Or is there such a thing as 'high enough' if your BP is elevated??

I am starting to question my OB already! In the past have LOVED her! I just think that she should be doing more for my BP's. I am 18 weeks and have been going through this for 10 weeks!! Shouldnt it be regulated by now? I have specifically asked her about damage to the placenta if the BP's stay high. She stated that "yes, this could happen if your BP's are up all the time" Well........DAH, they are!!!!!!!!

Girls, I have to admit, I am having a hard time 'bonding' with this baby and pregnancy! I think it is because of the problems I am having. I have bought NOTHING at almost 5 months preggo! (ask hubby how unusual this is for me...as this is our 4th!) I cant shake this feeling that something bad is going to happen! Am I crazy here??

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Re : HEADACHES AND BP NUMBERS......

Postby annegarrett » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:38 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:38 am

I am sorry you are feeling so lousy. Your BP doesn't even need to be high to have a BP headache (not a doctor--but THIS I know from personal experience). Women in pregnancy have increased blood volume and hormonal flux so those things combined make for a nasty headache...

I always advise a second opinion if you are feeling anxious (you have reason to feel anxious, IMHO) and that person would just either confirm or maybe differ but you would have more information. It doesn't mean you don't like OB #1--it just means you need more information about your personal case.

Look at www.nasshp.org and check out a doctor in your area--maybe email them what you posted here and ask if they think you should get a second opinion.

Take care and let us know how you are doing--

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : HEADACHES AND BP NUMBERS......

Postby akemt » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:13 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:13 pm

Sherry,

I'm so sorry that you don't feel you are bonding with your baby. I can definately understand the apprehension though. It is hard to get excited when you are worried there will be a bad outcome because you don't want your heart to break that much more. I haven't been through it myself, but have had the experience of a non-"Baby Story" pregnancy.

And, my bp's weren't any higher than yours when I was having bp headaches...not "THE HEADACHE" that others have described, but a "won't go away with tylenol" headache.

Oh, a tip for dampening one of those fun visitors: Take a warm shower and run the water on the back of your neck and head. It didn't make mine go away, but lessened the pain enough for me to fall asleep and they would be gone by morning. One of the OB's suggested that to me.

Let us know how you are doing!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Return to Ask the Experienced