Head start programs

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Head start programs

Postby natan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 02:48 pm

Hi preemie moms
My son will be finishing his noncategorical class through the Regional Center the end of July when he turns 3. I am looking at preschools. Which ones are you sending your kids to? How do you like it? (Northern Ca Question)

Have you/your child transitioned well into a regular preschool? Were you able to get into Head Start Program (is it a good program?)?

I am concerned because the person that evaluated him said he will not qualify for any more special services(which means he is developmentally normal) But I am worried he will be lost in a regular size classroom. His respetive language is still weak, means he does not follow direction well. He is still going to be tested for IEP and then we will know for sure if he will be in regular program.

Need advice from parents who have been through this type of tranisiton.

Thanks for all your support and guiadance,
Deborah
natan

Re : Head start programs

Postby deerhart » Sat Mar 20, 2004 07:23 pm

I think it depends. We send Alex to the special ed preschool through the school district, though he can be in the regular preschool class. We deicded to stay with the special ed classroom because it is much smaller (7-9 students fersus 20 in the reg class) and he does better in smaller environments then larger more active ones. Our qualifications here are different as to recieve services you only need a 25% delay in one single area (he has delays in social language). He will also recieve services through the school year.
Children can still be in regular classrooms and recieve special services (an IEP is usually considered a special service), though with preschool its a matter of whether they are going to get therapy or an aid to help with some skills, where in later grades it can include things like help with tests (extended time limits, verbal versus written tests, written instructions versus verbal etc..) to aides, to therapy, the list goes on and on.
As for the preschool to put him in, I think you need to take nto consideration the type of atmosphere your child needs to thrive. If he needs a smaller class, then I would suggest searching for a palce that does have a more limited class size, your coordinator with the special services may be able to supply references of places like that.
Here it is rather difficult to get into headstart becuase it is restricted by income (and very very low) but the special school district pays for all of Alex's services including the preschool tuition because its part of his therapy.
Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby sherry fisher » Sun Mar 21, 2004 02:33 pm

Check into your public school system. I know in Mo and Illinois they have a preschool program. Mostly it is for children who are NOT ready for kindergarten. So this kinda preps them for it. Regardless of whether or not you or your Ped thinks he is ready, it is good to have him tested through this. They often find LITTLE things to get him into the program. My Abbie went..she is smart as a whip, She got in on some of her speech patterns. And, its free! I know her school tried to separate the classes according to need. Which was great for her...her class focused more on speech. The most important thing too...she felt like she was going to a big girl school and she had soooo much fun in doing so!

I dont know about CA, but our head start programs here in Illinois go by income requirements! You may want to check into yours.

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04 - Allyson Mae
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby aimeejane » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:53 am

Hi Deborah,

Nicky didn't test into the IEP program, but he does great in his regular preschool. (I was sure to find one that's NAEYC certified - http://www.naeyc.org/) However, one of my very good friends is a special ed teacher w/ the school district, and I would have been very happy to have him in her classroom...so much so that I was almost hoping he'd test into it. LOL

There's every possibility that your son will qualify based solely on speech, which would be great, or that he'll qualify for a speech therapist to visit him at a regular preschool. There are a lot of options, and the case worker assigned to you should work hard to find exactly the right fit.

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kalentyler/ (Pswd: ilovemommy)
aimeejane

Postby natan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 01:57 pm

Thank you for the support. I am afraid they will deny his chance to get into Head Start because of my husbands income(which is not very much). I will look into special ed-because he has trouble with following directions. He does not know how to respond to questions.

But he is very smart and very mechanical and can figure things out quickley. His social skills are very high which is what I think they are judging him by.

Thanks again,
Deborah
natan

Return to Parents of Preemies