New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Hints for a New Preemie Parent....

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Hints for a New Preemie Parent....

Postby care-o-line » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:25 pm

If there is a parent support group at the hospital - join - even if you feel silly. I didn't join - and I wish that I had joined.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
dd Sylvia 8/21/02- 32weeks- 3lbs,5oz- pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/s/sylviakim/
care-o-line

Postby care-o-line » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:28 pm

Write in a journal everynight. Put all the stats in it and all your feelings. It will be a great keepsake and you will be able to look at it and see how far your child has come.

Also... look on-line for a preemie baby book.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
care-o-line

Postby care-o-line » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:30 pm

Don't worry too much about future problems. The fact is that the majority of preemies grow up to be completely normal and that is what you should assume unless you hear from doctors or therapists otherwise.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
care-o-line

Postby aimeejane » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:33 pm

Funny, Erin posted what I was just getting online to say:

DON'T spend every waking moment at the hospital! Go often and spend lots of time, but you also need to take care of YOU. Finish the nursery. Take LOTS of naps (you're recovering, you know!). Buy some baby clothes. Bake a few meals for your freezer, so you don't have to cook as much when baby comes home. PLAN for after the NICU stay. I know it seems like you'll be in the NICU stage forever, but it will end...thank goodness!

This is especially important, IMO, if you have a very tiny preemie...since you're not allowed to hold him/her for very much time, it can be depressing to just sit staring at the isolette. (Although I did like to sit and read books to him.) I found that visiting for a couple of hours twice a day was much beter on me, psychologically, than spending hours on end. He still got as much 'touching time' and kangaroo care as he was allowed, per the doctor's orders, and at the same time, I was being taken care of.

Aimee - 28
Dh - 29
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
EDD #2 - 8/3/03 (It's a BOY!)
aimeejane

Postby care-o-line » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:35 pm

Check out this parents of preemies site.
http://www.babycenter.com/bbs/2565

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
care-o-line

Postby aimeejane » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:36 pm

Caroline, I agree that parents shouldn't worry about developmental problems, but they need to be aware that it's a definite possibility. In our case, relying upon the doctor's recommendation was detrimental, which is why I warn parents to be on the lookout.

Actually, I treat it much like preeclampsia! Doctors don't always know best. LOL! [8D]

Aimee - 28
Dh - 29
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
EDD #2 - 8/3/03 (It's a BOY!)
aimeejane

Postby care-o-line » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:39 pm

Take one of your baby's first diapers - people will be "Wow'd" by it later.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
care-o-line

Postby care-o-line » Fri Jun 13, 2003 01:49 pm

Aimee,

I definatly agree. I guess I didn't make myself very clear. Here is another try.

Don't let yourself get consumed with worry, because the majority of preemies turn out perfectly fine, but do get all the expert opinions that are available to you - especially if you notice something you are concerned about. Even though I had no real concerns & the pediatrician had not recommended it.....When my dd was about 4 months (adjusted) I called Early Intervention (for 0-3 years old)in our state (you can look it up on line for your state) and they did a FREE screen to see if there were any concerns and determine if there were any speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy needs. If there are they will set up the services at no cost to you. I would recommend every preemie parent do this - especially if you are a first parent - and aren't too sure what babies should act like. If baby does need therapy you will feel great that you got the ball rolling right from the beginning.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
care-o-line

Postby momathelete » Fri Jun 13, 2003 02:10 pm

Along the same lines of not being there 24 hrs....

Go on a date with your husband. Do not neglect your life because of what is happening in the NICU. Marriages becomed strained during tough times, especially when moms tend to shut out everything else in life that is not NICU related. Nurses are the most expensive babysitters in the world, and you aren't paying for them, insurance is. We tried to go out on a date once a week with both of our preemie babies. We would go out to dinner, talk about us, try to not focus so much on the baby and then at the end of the date we would stop by the NICU, kangaroo or fight over who gets to kangaroo. This experience can either make your marriage stronger, or break it. Remember that you have a husband who is going through the same stresses and fears that you are going through, he just may show it differently. I also like the 2 visits a day instead of being there all of the time. I would only go for a few hours each visit, kangaroo, sing, read, or just sit and watch them sleep. DO NOT feel guilty if you are not there all of the time, especially if you have other kids at home, they need you too.

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and now expecting third, on bedrest, have high blood pressure and I am scheduled to have a c-section on July 1st- about 37 weeks! Due to perinatologist's suggestion, I am on C,E,B12,B6,Omega-3, iron, prenatal, calcium, baby aspirin and bp meds- Labatalol -300mg 2x a day
momathelete

Postby angelkat » Fri Jun 13, 2003 06:20 pm

Take time to eat and sleep [:)] Try to have date night with family and friends.

DH and I used to have DQ ice cream every night while at the hospital (in the cafe') it's no wonder why we gain 10 pounds while Katlyne was there...

Mommy to
Drew(12)
Ky (10)
and our Angel Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) forever in our hearts and thoughts
angelkat

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies