Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Irony?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Irony?

Postby sandy » Fri May 28, 2004 08:07 am

by sandy (1138 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 08:07 am

So as of about 3 days ago, I'm getting crabby about this "baby making on demand", (and DH is even crabbier than me), so we're cooling it for the rest of this cycle. Then yesterday FF finally drew a coverline and told me I have already ovulated (was wondering when this was going to finally happen...but my chart is just changing in increments, so it was hard to tell until now.)

Apparently, the timing was good, so that makes me hopeful. And now it appears it may be going triphasic; and even if so, that doesn't necessarity mean a pregnancy has been achieved. I'm supposedly at 8 DPO today. Last cycle (our first trying), I was feeling lots of pregnancy symptoms by this time, tested at 10 DPO, got a faint ++, and then it started not to stick at 12 DPO, and there it went. Not feeling any symptoms this time, so I'm guessing this month is shot. Which is fine for now.

So! To the irony. Does anyone else see it this way, as we are all in a similar situation: Months back I went to my Peri for a pre-pregnancy consulation, to say in so many words that

"I am about to intentionally put my life and a growing baby's life in danger (by becoming pregnant), possibly even risking death to one or both of us, and I'd like you to please manage the process, please, and get us as far along as we both can go without either one of us having significant consequences. And I realize that if I develop this potentially deadly condition, which could or could not turn for the worse at any moment, you really can not tell me what I could have done differently to prevent it, and since I've already had it once, my chances for getting it again are increased, but that you can't really tell me if I'll be getting it until the baby and I already showing symptoms and are at least somewhat in danger. Oh, and thank you for your help with this...here's your co-pay!"

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently TTC for #2
sandy

Re : Irony?

Postby catherine » Fri May 28, 2004 09:23 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 09:23 am

Oh Sandy, I sympathize.

I didn't do the baby making part but I did have the first pregnancy visit with my peri which went a bit like...

"OK, I can't believe it and I know that you can't believe it too. No I wasn't stupid or careless, it just happened. SO.. will that whole mess happen again? How will I know? Will I get any warning? If I don't will it be too late for me and/or my baby this time because I used up all my luck last time out? What the heck are you going to do about it?????"

The answer I got back was.. "Don't know, can't know, you're in the game so we'll be playing the odds. I promise to try to the best of my being to make sure that you don't get so sick this time around. What that could mean for your baby we'll face if we have to."

There's a lot of trust, faith and a huge amount of self-doubt going along with the fear. Looking back, the one consolation from that day was that I knew that if my peri was forced onto the playing field, then I had "Michael Jordan" playing on my team. You may not believe it yet, but that will make a huge difference to how you feel down the line.

Hang in there Sandy...........[:X]

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby for faith » Fri May 28, 2004 10:19 am

by for faith (1749 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 10:19 am

Sandy - HUGS, I understand about the frustration of TTC, seems so unromantic. Good luck with this cycle though. When charting with my daughter, I had a triphasic and tested - on DPO 11 and then + DPO 12, so you may be having different symptoms.

I agree with the peri too, I am meeting with one in June and I was guessing that is how it was going to go based on my meetings with my OB and research. At least we know that we will get the best care possible, to hopefully beat the disease this time. I am scared because had PIH with my son beginning at 30 weeks, delivered him at 36 weeks and had PIH with my daughter beginning at 27 weeks, developed severe preeclampsia and delivered her at 30 weeks - scared it will be even earlier and worse next time.

More HUGS!

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH)
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))
for faith

Postby julie f » Fri May 28, 2004 10:31 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 10:31 am

Oh Sandy,

I can appreciate the irony...[:(] I spent sooooo long trying not to get pregnant. Then, I finally decide that I'm "ready." Then, pregnancy practically kills me. Then, I have to say goodbye to the little love of my life... Now, I'm trying to get pg again because I think I'm "ready..."

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to sound so down. It's just that it is ironic, and it sucks!

I hope this month was your month!!

Jill - I agree that TTC is so unromantic... I'm going to try really hard to make it "fun" next month...!

Good luck to all!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby steelsword328 » Fri May 28, 2004 02:24 pm

by steelsword328 (86 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 02:24 pm

Ditto, ditto, ditto to what everyone has said. Dh wanted to "take a break" after a few times of bd'ing this cycle and I think I may have missed the window--but who knows. IF his little swimmers are as strong and long-lasting as he would like to think they are (hehe!)-there may be some hope.
I feel the irony you are talking about Sandy, but like Catherine, I have a "Michael Jordan" playing on my court. I love my OB and I trust him and his opinion. He was very optimistic-yet not overly promising-about another pg. In other words, my chances of it happening again are significantly reduced since they have found me postiive for one of the anticardiolipin antibodies, but he realizes it still can happen again and he will take every precaution with me and treat me like a china doll!
Julie--got any "fun" ideas--I'm fresh out of them. I just want to "do it" and get it over with!--talk about unromantic Jill!!! :}

Renee mom to Alyssa-26wkr-1lb 4oz.-severe PE-now a happy and healthy 2 year old!
TTC#2!!!!
steelsword328

Postby julie f » Fri May 28, 2004 04:58 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 04:58 pm

Renee - I'm not sure if my "fun" ideas would be appropriate to post... LOL...![:I] If I have any success with them though, I'll definitely send you an email...!

Julie (27)

julie f

Postby taras mom » Fri May 28, 2004 11:54 pm

by taras mom (841 Posts), Fri May 28, 2004 11:54 pm

"It is ironic, and it sucks!"--Julie

I fully expect to see this in the next edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations. Truer words were never spoken.

Sandy, if you ever think you're losing your nerve, think of all the stupid things people risk their lives for. People jump out of planes and climb Everest without oxygen, and there's no chance of a baby at the end of it.[8D]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby laura » Sat May 29, 2004 01:39 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Sat May 29, 2004 01:39 am

That is a brilliant point, Carol, I'd never thought of it that way before! Thanks!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby steelsword328 » Sat May 29, 2004 06:11 am

by steelsword328 (86 Posts), Sat May 29, 2004 06:11 am

Julie,
I really didn't expect you to answer that question! hehe! Some things need to be left to the imagination! Hmmmmmm........just kidding!!
Best of luck to you-and all of us TTC'ers

Renee mom to Alyssa-26wkr-1lb 4oz.-severe PE-now a happy and healthy 2 year old!
TTC#2!!!!
steelsword328

Postby julie f » Sat May 29, 2004 07:12 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat May 29, 2004 07:12 am

Carol,

That is a good point about risking your life, I think I will use that when family starts in on me about another pregnancy...

Julie (27)

julie f

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia