Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How Many Hyperemesis Moms?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : How Many Hyperemesis Moms?

Postby laura » Fri Jul 18, 2003 02:29 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Jul 18, 2003 02:29 pm

twilight- I know what you're talking about.. my hyperemesis just suddenly sort of lifted with this last one around 25 (though I would retch and gag all the way to the end) so that week, we ate at every restaurant I had wanted to eat at in the previous five months- we about had to take out a loan for groceries the next week- I ate steak, prime rib, lobster, king crab legs, bbq salmon, pizza, pancakes- you name it- all in about five days. My husband thought it was sooo funny- he was like "slow down, I PROMOSE I won't let anyone take it away from you!"
( I must be hungry- I lingered over that food description far too long[:0])

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby cathyw » Fri Jul 18, 2003 05:16 pm

by cathyw (99 Posts), Fri Jul 18, 2003 05:16 pm

I vomited 3-4 times/day from weeks 10 to 20. The wierd part is that I did not really feel that nauseated. Any strong odor caused me to throw up so restaurants, movies, the lunch room at work were all off limits to me. Even if a co-worker walked by me with coffee, the vomiting would start. Everyone at work quickly learned to stay away from me..LOL. I did not gain any weight in the pregnancy until week 20....Ugh, just thinking about that time makes me sick.
cathyw

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 05:52 pm

by Guest (), Fri Jul 18, 2003 05:52 pm

My story doesn't quite make sense. I had hyperemesis in my first pregnancy. I vomited at least 8 times a day from even before I knew I was pregnant up until the day I delivered my twins. I was miserable but I did not have any blood pressure issues.

I have only vomited 2 times during this pregnancy but I have PIH.
Strange...

Nikki-28
Jared - DH
Skyla & Haley 12-16-98 (twins, 33 weeks - no bp issues though!)
"Baby boy" EDD 8-22-03

Postby kim » Fri Jul 18, 2003 08:41 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Fri Jul 18, 2003 08:41 pm

Wow!! It's really amazing how many of us have been sick. I know of about 4 other women who have had hg and pre/e.

I agree with you Laura... I know I would be watched closely for the pre/e, but the constant nausea and vomiting with the hg (and mine lasted from 5 weeks until the day I delivered), just scares me. I can't imagine Ainsley having to see me that way. IV's, can't even talk without puking...

There is one hg theory that matches a pre/e theory... That both are diseases of the liver. In my opinion, hg and pre-e are multi-causal and may not be the same for everyone. Like how the degrees of hg and pre/e vary. Seems like no 2 cases are really alike. It is interesting, though.

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby laura » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:19 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:19 pm

Allie told me the other day, "I'm so glad that sister came out of your tummy." I (hoping for a hallmark moment about sisterly love) said "why, sweetie?" she said "I'm glad that I don't have to hear you go 'blah' (makes retching noise here) anymore"

She's right, though. It did scare the tar out of her, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. Bedrest I can handle but hyperemesis sucks.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
laura

Postby kimie » Thu Sep 18, 2003 03:45 pm

by kimie (1 Posts), Thu Sep 18, 2003 03:45 pm

Hello, I too suffered from Hyperemesis from the time I was 4 weeks pregnant until about a month before I had my child. I was in and out of the hospital weekly first starting in the emergency room to obtain IV fluids, then being admitted into the hospital for at least 4 to 5 days at a time. Then I went home and got sick all over again. I was insulted by my doctor that suggested I may be psychologically making myself throw my guts out 10-12 times a day. I would like to have another child, but I do not want to go thru that again. Have any of you heard on any technologies to help our disease? Someone mention to me a some sort of wrist band that somehow sends electrical signals to the brain to keep the nausea down have any of you heard of this
kimie

Postby laura » Thu Sep 18, 2003 03:59 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Thu Sep 18, 2003 03:59 pm

hey there- the only wristbands I'm familiar with are the acupressure/seasick bands you can buy at the drug store- for me they worked a little bit for about two weeks after getting my first + pregnancy test, and then were just little ugly bracelets, as far as I was concerned... they do help some people, I've heard.

Unfortuately, I'm not aware of anything you can do to prevent hyperemesis- but http://www.hyperemesis.org might have more options for you! Best of luck!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
laura

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Sep 18, 2003 04:33 pm

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Thu Sep 18, 2003 04:33 pm

I haven't had the pre-e yet but do have the chronic hbp and had hyperemesis from day 8 to week 21 and lost 20lbs. Mainly it was severe nausea I would vomit from seeing a commercial about food. I don't think I ate more than 2000 calories in those 20 weeks. It didn't stop until I started on the atenolol. I went through several types of nausea meds and several hospital visits for fluids. I do not ever want to go through that again.

My husband just admitted to me the other night that he thought I might've died or lost the baby because I hadn't eaten and was so darn sick for so long[:0] poor guy.

Elizabeth (27)
dh-Shawn (29)
edd:11/30/03 Indigo Elizabeth (hypertension(atenolol),hyperemesis,20lb wt loss, hypothyroidism, cancer remission, asthma, 8cm blood clot @3wks, planned csec 11/03)
11/17/95 m/c @14wks
1/97 m/c @3wks
2/98 m/c @5wks
8/02 m/c @3wks
5thtymachrm

Postby akemt » Thu Sep 18, 2003 04:52 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Thu Sep 18, 2003 04:52 pm

I had hyperemesis from 8 wks to about 16 weeks and was put on meds. I'd say mine wasn't too severe (though awful in its own right). I had a couple bouts of vomiting after that and always had the nausea up untill delivery. And then was diagnosed with pih at 29 wks pg and was about the same...not too severe but still awful and turned to pre-e postpartum (though they never told ME that, I just read it in my records). lol My grandmother had hyperemesis with her first but I'm not sure about her second or pre-e (though mom has always said it runs in the family and spreads out to 2nd and 3rd cousins). My mother on the other hand did not have hyperemesis and did have pre-e.

Good question, btw.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27...soon)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo (caused by pih)
akemt

Postby kaseylynn13 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:48 am

by kaseylynn13 (1 Posts), Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:48 am

I had hyperemesis horribly. I lost 30 lbs the fist few months of pregnancy and I was pregnant with twins! I had to go to the hospital every 2 days for an IV b/c I just could not keep any food down. After 5 months I felt okay then preeclampsia hit. I lost my vision, I swelled up so bad I couldn't put socks on, and I had an emergency C-Section 10 weeks early. My boys were 2 pounds but now they are 21 months old and doing great!!!
kaseylynn13

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced