When to start self monitoring?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

When to start self monitoring?

Postby azrood » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:30 am

I am new to the group, but I was hoping that you could give me some advice. I am 16 weeks pregnant with #2 after having #1 last Aug. and developing pre-e. The swelling and weight gain started at 33 weeks (normal bp & no protein) and was noted by the ob I saw that week since I couldn't see my regular ob. Then my ob cancelled my two appts over the next month despite my protests, they insisted that I was fine and could wait for my 38 wk. appt. During this time, I severly swelled up (couldn't bend my fingers, toes didn't touch the ground). Finally, my husband called and threatened them and they moved my appt up two days. The night before, I had really bad uppper GI pain and should have gone to the ER, but I waited for my appt. because I was fine according to my ob. Needless to say, I was sent directly to L&D upon my arrival to the ob's office with +2 protein and bp as high as 230/110 and I had a c-section. Now, with #2, I don't trust my ob's ability (or any ob's ability) to monitor for signs of pre-e, especially since she has the attitude of "odds are it won't happen again, so don't worry about it." Not to mention that the nurse forgot to record my bp at my last visit - which was caught by the ultrasound tech two weeks later and not my ob! So, I would like to check my bp and possibily for protien at home between visits, but I wasn't sure if I should start this now or wait until I was further along since it is really early for any signs. Any suggestions as to when I should start this would be appreciated.

FYI - I am trying to switch to another ob, but they are all full at this time, so for now I'm stuck.

Jaime

dd 8-28-02
edd 1-6-04
azrood

Re : When to start self monitoring?

Postby laura » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:15 am

Hey Jaime- is it too late to move?[:p] Seriously though, your town may not have any other obs available, but how far is it to the nearest one in another town? It is worth the drive...Who you should be seeing is a perinatologist- check out http://www.nasshp.org for perinatologists that specialize in hypertensive disorders of pregnancy.

Imho, it's never too early to start taking your pressures. What you can do is log them and watch for trends, so if it starts to rise, you have something to compare it to. Right now you're in your second trimester,and pregnancy BP's usually drop during the 2nd tri. If it doesn't drop, that's a sign that they need to watch you closely for problems again.

Yes, chances are that pe won't happen again- but your hypertension set in pretty darn early last time, and that may be an indication that you may be prone to problems with underlying hypertension, in which case you are at increased risk of getting it again. The problem is, even if you're charting your pressures and checking your protein, if your doc won't work with you, she may not listen to you if the signs come again because it doesn't follow the pattern she's familiar with- that's what happened to me- I was told it wouldn't happen twice, and half way through pg #2, I started getting sick earlier than the first, panicked, and the providers I was seeing told me it was "normal" Well, Baloney. Run away. Fast. I wouldn't let the providers who told me that junk deliver my cat's kittens, much less my baby.

If it's too far to travel to another doc (and being a resident of the vast wilderness of Alaska, I am less likely to believe that of you lower 48 girls-- I actually travelled a couple of thousand miles out of state to consult a perinatologist) call and badger them for a consult at the other docs office- tell the doc that you're desperate- you're terrified of getting sick and only they can help you.

And if there's anything we can do to help let us know!... Check out the regional chapters that are forming, and see if there's any other members in your area you can talk to. The women here are WONDERFUL.
At any rate- I hope your pregnancy stays healthy, and be sure to let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby buffy » Fri Nov 14, 2003 07:30 am

I agree with Laura. I wish I had started tracking my bp at home well before I realized that something might be wrong. Right now at 35 weeks I only have the dr bp's to go off of and that is what every month or so? I have been tracking it for the past few days, and if it has done anything it has given me peace of mind. You can get a blood pressure cuff and stethescope from anywhere around $16.00 and up, depending on how much you want to spend. But like I said atleast by tracking it you will have peace of mind, and not be wondering every second of everyday whether or not you and your baby are alright.
Buffy
buffy

Postby azrood » Fri Nov 14, 2003 09:15 am

32 Week Update:

Wow! I can't believe I'm already twice as far along as I was when I originally posted![:D]

At my appt. yesterday (with a new ob since mine wasn't available), my bp was 145/95 after sitting and resting for 30 minutes. After lying on my left side for 10 minutes my bp lying down was 138/88. (The nurse actually argued with me, telling me that taking it lying down was the most accurate reading!) I have been checking my bp regularly at home with a wrist monitor and it has always been low. In addition, my reflexes are exagerated. They monitored the baby for about an hour yesterday and said that she looked fine. I didn't have any protein in my urine. I have been having mild headaches since week 17 that don't seem to be related to my bp. Also, at 24 weeks my vision suddenly went from 20/20 to 20/60 on a good day, but that was also determined not to be realted to my bp.

I was told to come back in 1 week and to see my reg. ob. (who is not my original ob[:)]) Of course, he is out of town for the next 2 weeks, so the only ob I could get in to see is my original ob[:(!]! UGH!

Jaime

dd 8-28-02
edd 1-6-04
azrood

Postby akemt » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:59 am

WOW! 32 weeks! You're on your home stretch now!?! Sorry about the OB issues. And I feel your pain about pooter head nurses...lol What was the doctors opinion about sitting vs laying bp's? Keep up the good work!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby evansmom » Sun Nov 16, 2003 03:07 pm

Hi Jamie, I am currently 8 wks pregnant with #2 and already checking my BP @ home. My situation is a little different, as my HBP never went back to normal after the birth of my son, which categorizes it as chronic hypertension. However, the BP machines can be purchased for < $100 at some drug stores, and are easy to use. So the investment may be worth it for peace of mind. I usually check my BP in the am and pm, and write it down so any alarming trends can be recognized. So sorry your OB has given you less than adequate care. I would keep looking for one who will go above and beyond to have a healthy baby and a healthy mom! Good luck!
Lauren 27
Evan 12-9-01 (pe 37 weeks)
EDD 7-2-04
evansmom

Return to Ask the Experienced