New Here....need support

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New Here....need support

Postby cjellavsky » Thu Aug 14, 2003 01:00 pm

I was diagnosed with mild preeclampsia about a week and a half ago. I was put on strict bed rest, told not to drive..etc. I was given steroid injections in case the baby came early. I have been struggling with high blood pressures at home, having protein in my urine and severe headaches. I went into the Dr's office on Monday and then sent to L&D for monitoring. I had a neurologist check for out for anything major. He says my headaches are from the preeclampsia. My OB's ( i am in a large practice and there are about 6 Dr's that I rotatae through) feel like my blood pressures and protein are not enough to induce me...which is fine, because I am only a little over 34 weeks. However, I cannot explain these bad headaches. SOOO....the Dr. that saw me in the hospital yesterday tells me he doesn't even know what I am doing in the hospital, and that I don't have the criteria to meet preeclampsia and that "don't listen to the neurologist, because he doesn't know what he is talking about" and says that my headaches can't possibly be from something that doesn't exist. Alluding to the fact that I might be making it up. Another dr. came by to see me in the hospital this am...and I told him how upset that I was that I was in the hospital if nothing was wrong with me. He said that I definitely had mild preeclampsia and high bp. He just mentioned that everyone has different opinions. Anyway, I am home now back on strict bed rest with the same headaches. They say that my headaches probably aren't from toxemia because I am such a mild case. All I know is that they are horrible and I can't get rid of them... I am very frustrated and upset. I do not know much about this disease. But, now, I feel like I am going crazy....any advice????[:(]
cjellavsky

Re : New Here....need support

Postby kim » Thu Aug 14, 2003 01:36 pm

Hey!
Sorry you're being told so many different things. I had a similar thing happen to me... I was having visual disturbances, etc.. and the on-call doc said nothing was wrong, even though my doc had already dx pre-e. Well, needless to say, I gave birth the next day. If at all possible, try to stick with the doctor who seems to have a clue. No one should blow off a neurologist, that's for sure. Did the neuro see brain swelling?
Take care..
What state are you in? We may have someone close by!!

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby michelle » Thu Aug 14, 2003 01:38 pm

I am certainly not an expert but I will tell you not to let anyone talk you out of seeking help. My PE came on so fast it went from mild to near death situation in a matter of 4 days. My doctor took it seriously from the beginning and saved my life. Can you get to a Perinatologist? If not then make them take you seriously.

Michelle

Michelle
michelle

Postby laura » Thu Aug 14, 2003 01:48 pm

OMG- you poor thing! The good news is 34 weeks ain't bad- I had my first at 35, and she was just fine- as did many of us- something about the hypertension matures their lungs faster.

It's just dreadful when all your docs are saying different things. UGH! Ignore the neurologist? Please. I think that's part of why we're here- to help establish a standard of care so that when they're being idiots, you can come somewhere and sort it all out. We can all compare notes, so that when one is just a putz, you'll know it's not you. I had one of those when I was admitted for postpartum preeclampsia- "what are you doing here? Your blood pressures are just fine when you're lying on your left side.."[:(!] Nevermind they were seizure range when I happened to sit up. The headaches are just a drag- Mine would get worse with any salt, and if I lay any way other than my left side.

Ok- what are your pressures running? How much protein do you have? Are you having little flashy visual things? My guess is that it's time to go to the main website, look at the list of symptoms, and commit them to memory. You need to be watching closely for signs that you're progressing. (((HUGS))) We've all been there- take care and let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby annegarrett » Thu Aug 14, 2003 03:59 pm

http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

Here is the link for the signs and symptoms. Tell us your BP now and if you know it--what it was before pregnancy, or normally. Have you put on much weight? Much swelling, particularly around your eyes?

The most common complaints of headache in pregnancy are from
1) hormonal flux
2) the massive increase of blood volume due to pregnancy
3) preeclampsia
4) dehydration and lack of sleep

If you can't kill that headache with over the counter meds, or if you are having to stay in a room with the curtains drawn (or other important symptoms) go directly to Labor and Delivery. Find a perinatologist at www.nasshp.org under ADDRESSES and scroll down to find someone in your area. Let us know what city you are in--some of our ladies might have suggestions of good doctors there.

Take care!

Anne
annegarrett

Postby cjellavsky » Thu Aug 14, 2003 07:15 pm

Thanks everyone for responding!. You guys make me feel so much better!. My normal BP's are around 110/55. I had one this weekend at 190/97 and the other day before my Dr. appt. was 147/109. Mind you that these are BP's taken at home which they told me to do. When I get to the dr's...it is usually 137/90 and one day it was 160/100... I have been to the hospital on 3 different occassions. Everytime that I go in, they lay me on my left side...take my BP and it goes down to like 120/60 and of course they let me go home. I go home, and then all I have to do is go to the bathroom and the BP's go up. I am not sure how much protein....The say not too high...which I don't know what that means. But, the headaches have been nasty. But, nothing is showing up on my labs....my liver and kidneys seem to be fine. They say I only have mild preeclampsia. Some of the dr's are very strict with me, and the one is well...you know...I already told you....if you had your lungs laying out on the table, he would tell you that was normal... :). I have a lot of Braxton Hicks going on last night and today. All I can do is tell them what is going on and be my own advocate. It is not that I am looking for them to induce early...I just want to make sure I am heard and being taken good care of. I will check in again and let you know how I am. Thanks soooooo much for your feedback!!!!
cjellavsky

Postby cjellavsky » Thu Aug 14, 2003 07:16 pm

P.S. Someone asked where I lived....I live in Cary, NC....
cjellavsky

Postby laura » Thu Aug 14, 2003 07:47 pm

Are they taking your pressures lying down? ACK! Read this:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321

And I see why some of your docs are concerned- that pressure is too high! the BP requirement for severe PE is 160/110- at that point you run the risk of 'cerebral events' ESPECIALLY in light of those headaches. You don't have to have a lick of protein to have a seizure. Or placental abruption. Or intercranial bleeding.

Have they referred you to a perinatologist? Anne's right- it's time to go to nasshp and find a good one. Maybe Anne knows a good one near you...

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby kim » Thu Aug 14, 2003 08:23 pm

I agree with Laura... IMHO, those pressures are VERY concerning. Based on the criteria for pre-e, if you're normal bp is 110/55, then PIH/pre-e for you would be 140/70. 190/97 and 147/109 is NOT mild. And with the headaches... Not trying to scare you, but MAKE them take your bp after you have been sitting for a few minutes. If they refuse, tell them to note in your chart that you asked and they wouldn't do it. And if any of your docs think pressures like that aren't serious, then you need a new doctor ASAP.
I'm not saying that they should induce you, but they shouldn't wait for it to get to the point of "cerebral events" or kidney or liver problems.
Please take care and remain vigilant.

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby annegarrett » Fri Aug 15, 2003 01:06 am

There are some doctors who would give you antihypertensives to bring down your BP and buy you more time pregnant.

I have written some of our experts for some names for a second opinion...some might prescribe bedrest, others might decide you should be delivered. I think you really need to get the best of care--your BPs are too high for mild preeclampsia. I don't know what your proteinuria is but any, with those BPs, is too much. If we can find you someone for a 2nd opinion, just see them and then they can talk with your regular doctors and say--this is what is going on. That is what they are there for...and regular OBs are used to getting advice from them...it won't be insulting at all and will not ONLY help you--it will educate your doctors so the next women he/she sees will benefit.

I will send you a private email when I get the names. Do take care and write if there is any change.

Anne
annegarrett

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced