Is this normal?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Is this normal?

Postby xastur7 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 07:39 pm

My normal baseline b/p is 90/60 and normal heart rate is in the 60-75 range. Well I'm 17 weeks pregnant and for the past 2 weeks I've been hearing my heart pound in my ears and my eyes bounce with my heart beat on and off during the day like they're going to pop out. I normally lay around at home b/c I stay tired all the time but if I go to the store just for a few minutes I can hardly breathe my chest is beating so hard, but when I sit down it gets better. I checked my b/p at the pharmacy today and it said 126/76 and my pulse was 116, that is way high for me. I've also been having frequent headaches and my nausea/vomiting has returned the last few weeks when it had went away completely. Does this sound like Preeclampsia? OH and I just turned 20 if my age matters, and this is my first pregnancy. I will see my Dr. in 2 weeks I just wanted to know if I should schedule one for earlier. I would love any feedback.
xastur7

Re : Is this normal?

Postby mada » Thu Oct 30, 2003 07:45 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum[:)] I am glad that you are being cautious! One of the risk factors for preeclampsia can be young or older age. You are on the younger side. Although 17 weeks is a bit early for PE, your symptoms can be a precursor and a good warning. They are also something you want to call oyur doc with. A rise in your BP by that much should be checked out. Although it may not be high to some people it is for you....I owuld call my doctor with your concerns and explain that your normal pressure is way lower...They don't always remeber everything and it may sound like a normal range reading. Good for you for staying on top of oyur health and knowing your BP readings!! Keep us posted and goodluck[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby xastur7 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 07:54 pm

What about the other symptoms like headaches, pounding heart in ears and eyes, nausea, etc. Is all of that a sign of heading in the direction of Preeclampsia? Oh and how will the dr. monitor this to find out for sure if it is? And thanks so much for the quick response!!
xastur7

Postby kim » Thu Oct 30, 2003 09:09 pm

Xastur7,

You should call your doc asap. The symptoms could be benign, or they could indicate a variety of problems.

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby taras mom » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:00 pm

I agree you shouldn't wait 2 weeks to see a doctor. Also, I suggest getting a good home bp monitor; an occasional check at the pharmacy is not enough. Good luck!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby deerhart » Fri Oct 31, 2003 07:16 am

Heart palputations are one of the symptomns of thyroid problems which are very common in pregnant woman. It can also be a sign of dehydration, PE, among other things.

You need to inform your doc who should make sure your getting enough water and do a blood test to rule out thyroid problems (plus if its reoccuring an EKG to check your heart)

I had this symptomn when I had PE and they did have to rule out that it wasn't being caused by other things.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby laura » Fri Oct 31, 2003 08:49 am

ooh, Erin, good idea! thyroid IS a really common problem during pregnancy.

Xastur- you should call your doc today, don't wait for two weeks.

Normal pulse is around 72. Pregnancy pulses rise 10 bpm to around 82. It's called tachycardia at 100 bpm, and I was told to go to the emergency room when it got to 120 bpm. When your pulse starts getting that high, it mucks out the ability to carry oxygen, and you do start getting faint, and feeling that you're not able to breathe. I've been there, and it's horrible! In any event, just call in. There's no reason to wait til your next appointment and suffer that whole time, and (of course I don't know if it's harmful) but it can't be good for baby. Take care, and let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby deerhart » Fri Oct 31, 2003 09:21 am

aye, my heart would jump from about 85-90 to between 115-120 and stay there for on average 45-60 minutes then go away. It happened multiple times and you literally feel like you just ran a marathon. For me the only things they could contribute it to was either the PE or asthma, since I later found out I was asthmatic and have a similiar symptomn when I have an asthma attack. Though when its asthma its for only a very short period of time (like 2-3 minutes)

It was sorta creepy because usually by the time I called the doc and got to the hospital to be checked out it was gone. Only once did they actually manage to catch it when it occured.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Return to Ask the Experienced