Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Update on early protien and bp!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Update on early protien and bp!

Postby 2ndtimemom » Fri Nov 14, 2003 07:18 pm

by 2ndtimemom (4 Posts), Fri Nov 14, 2003 07:18 pm

Well I saw the Peri on Thurs. I was spilling protien my lvl of my 24hr urine was 1675? Not sre what that means but so far all my tests have come back neg. They are running a few more for things like Lupus and Hep C. I am also having a renal u/s on Dec 18. If all tests come back neg then I will be sent after pregnancy to a neph for a Kidney biopsy. Until then I will get frequent u/s to make sure the baby is growing well since there is a GREAT chance of some sort of Kidney disease and that can cause small babies. They also put me on 100mg of Atenolol. However I was reading about it and it is a category D and was wondering if anyone here was put on it early and if there were any negative effects? I am nervous on taking it since it is Category D but will do as my Dr instructs until I can see him on Friday and discuss it furthr. Thanks for all your previous posts [:)] This is such a helpful supportive board. Thanks again [;)]
2ndtimemom

Re : Update on early protien and bp!

Postby cathyinwa » Fri Nov 14, 2003 09:27 pm

by cathyinwa (24 Posts), Fri Nov 14, 2003 09:27 pm

Hi,

I was put on Atenolol at about 3 and 1/2 months. I took 100mg throughout my pregnany.

My little girl just had her two week checkup and everything was fine. She's gained almost a pound and weighs 7 lbs 1 oz now[:D]

Good Luck

Cathy

cathyinwa

Postby laura » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:10 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:10 pm

I was on exactly the same medicine, and I firmly believe that it helped me get to 36 weeks with my second pregnancy. The reason, I think, that it's category D, is because atenolol can make smaller babies in women who take it. For that reason, they'll probably watch your baby's growth very closely by ultrasound, and if there's any slowing, they'll probably adjust your dosage.

No doubt, it's the sort of medicine that should be taken only by people that clearly need it- for some of us, we really need our medicines to work. There are some more commonly used antihypertensives during pregnancy, but many of them are not really used for non-pregnant people, a testament to how well they work.

And, from what I've read, given the protein you're showing, they're doing exactly what they should be! Please let us know what they find!! Good luck!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby evansmom » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:45 am

by evansmom (144 Posts), Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:45 am

I've been on atenolol for HBP. I'm 8 weeks pregnant, and also nervous about its effect on the baby (there is so much conficting info!). But my OB says its okay for now... I guess we need to have faith that they know what they are doing!

Lauren
evansmom

Postby kimb » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:11 pm

by kimb (140 Posts), Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:11 pm

If the atenolol is working for you - stick with it! I had high bp prior to pregnancy andmy bp was great until my ob sent me to a peri who FREAKED that I was on it and took me off of it. From that day my health and my pregnancy went downhill until I lost my son 7 weeks later. I truly believe, heart and soul, that had I stayed on the atenolol my son would be here today. From what I have heard about the study on atenolol - it was done on a very small number of women and they had them all on 200mg per day. The babies may be a bit smaller - ounces - not pounds - but if you can get that baby to term they are much better off. You are so lucky to have found this site while you are pregnant to get some feedback from women who have been there. Take care of yourself and keep us informed of how you are doing.
kimb

Return to Ask the Experienced