Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Preeclampsia/Lupus

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Preeclampsia/Lupus

Postby teresa » Tue Dec 02, 2003 03:08 pm

by teresa (2 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 03:08 pm

Yes I was diagnosed with preeclampsia with my last 2 pregnancies. I have since been diagnosed with Lupus and kidney problems. I was wondering if spilling protein in my urine during the last pregnancy that would have caused anything today. When reading about kidney's and Lupus the description sounds very much the same. Could there be a connection. I have 4children and only the last 2 were difficult pregnancies. Please let me know. Thanks A Mom in Ohio.
teresa

Re : Preeclampsia/Lupus

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 02, 2003 03:15 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 03:15 pm

Teresa,

I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but autoimmune disorders do seem to put you at higher risk for preeclampsia. I am no doctor and have no experience in this particular area but know that there are others here with autoimmune disorders as well who are more able to answer questions you might have. Also, preeclampsia(PE) can cause kidney damage and spilling protein is one of the symptoms of PE. Were you diagnosed with it in your last two pregnancies?

Hope I've helped a little [:I]

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby lisac » Tue Dec 02, 2003 04:28 pm

by lisac (247 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 04:28 pm

Hi Teresa,
I had severe early onset preeclampsia during my last pregnancy. I have tested positive for ANA. I'm curious if you had any lupus symptoms during your pregnancies. How long after delivery were you diagnosed? Also, were you on heparin?

I'm not sure of your question. Sometimes lupus affects the kidneys. Are you kidney problems related to lupus?

I'd be interested to talk more about this because I wonder what my risk is of getting lupus since I do have autoimmunity.

Lisa
lisac

Postby laura » Tue Dec 02, 2003 06:40 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 06:40 pm

Hi Teresa, welcome! I do remember one of the experts mentioning that if a woman has lupus it's really hard to tell the difference between a lupus flare and the development of preeclampsia, so the symptoms are pretty darned close. And, as Catherine indicated, lupus/autoimmune disease leaves you more vulnerable to complicated pregnancies, including preeclampsia.

It's not likely that the protein you spilled in your pregnancies is influencing your health now, but more likely your overall health influenced getting preeclampsia and spilling protein.

I'm under the impression that developing full blown autoimmune disease is a process that can take time, even years, so perhaps when you first started having children, lupus wasn't as much an issue and then by the time you had your last two, you were developing full blown disease.

Lupus and PE from Ask the Experts:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150
Info on autoimmune disease from Anne:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409

Best wishes, and I'm glad you found us!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby teresa » Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:51 am

by teresa (2 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:51 am

Hello everyone, I want to thank everyone who responded to my message. It feels really good to know that there are people out there with some answers for me. Thanks again I really appreciate it.Teresa
teresa

Postby mada » Wed Dec 03, 2003 09:06 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 09:06 am

Teresa,
A good friend of mine who also has lupus had preeclampsia and started spilling protien as early as 18 weeks....Luckily she made it to 32 weeks. Echoing everyone else, it appears that autoimmune disease puts you at greater risk. Are you planning another?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Return to Ask the Experienced