Post Reply FAQ Members Login

PE, condoms, immunity, sperm tolerance

PE, condoms, immunity, sperm tolerance

Postby jenny kasza » Mon Feb 13, 2006 04:31 pm

by jenny kasza (5 Posts), Mon Feb 13, 2006 04:31 pm

Here's some info. linking PE to condoms/sperm tolerance/immunity.

1. www.drkoop.com
"The risk of preeclampsia is highest in primagravidas (women in their first pregnancy) and in women with minimal exposure to sperm (having used barrier methods of contraception, e.g., condoms)."

2. www.diagnose-me.com
"The cause of preeclampsia is not known, but may be related to immune factors. Preeclampsia may result from fetal antigens -- elements of the fetus that trigger an immune response in the mother. The risk of preeclampsia is highest in primagravidas (women in their first pregnancy) and in women who have had minimal exposure to sperm (having used barrier methods of contraception, e.g. condoms)."

3. www.spaceandmotion.com
"Another recent study found that women who gave their men oral sex, and swallowed, had a lower risk of preeclampsia, the dangerously high blood pressure that sometimes accompanies pregnancy.
"The present study shows that oral sex and swallowing sperm is correlated with a diminished occurrence of preeclampsia,” said the Dutch authors.

jenny kasza

Re : PE, condoms, immunity, sperm tolerance

Postby laura » Fri Feb 17, 2006 03:58 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Feb 17, 2006 03:58 am

Hi Jenny, thanks for the information. Fortunately, we can say that we are pretty confident in saying that the "dangerous partner" theory that was routinely taught to physicians 20-30 years ago has been largely discredited. Once the studies adjusted for the time between pregnancies- the increased incidence was explained by the increase in maternal age.

It is a touchy subject for many survivors. There are so many potential avenues for guilt over a particular behavior- I changed partners, I used condoms, I didn't use condoms, etc. it is reassuring to people to know that it was not something they did that caused their severe disease and tiny babies. That being said- I've heard research indicating that the immune system reaction might be party based on the fathers' genetics. I'm really interested to see where that research goes. Best wishes, and thanks for your contribution.
laura

Re : PE, condoms, immunity, sperm tolerance

Postby laura » Fri Feb 17, 2006 04:04 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Feb 17, 2006 04:04 am

Actually, we're very fortunate. Our medical board is comprised of the top preeclampsia researchers in the US, and even more fortunately, they appear to all agree on this. Here are a couple of links where they talk about this theory:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3122
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1295
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1593

(thanks Catherine!)

Hope this helps.
laura

Return to Wisconsin