Statistics

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laura

Re : Statistics

Postby laura » Thu Mar 01, 2007 02:36 pm

That's a question that I've thought about as well! From what I understand, there's not be a comprehensive study done about maternal mortality from preeclampsia, because it would be very difficult as there is no standard place to report maternal death to, and that the cause of death wouldn't necessarily always just have a preeclampsia diagnosis.

That being said, one of the axioms I find very helpful in placing the problem in perspective is what one of our docs says: Fetal mortality is an indicator of the severity of the disease. Maternal mortality is an indicator of the quality of care the woman received.

There should be NO Reason for a woman in this day and age to die from having a baby- if mom is reporting her symptoms and doc is being responsive, we can extrapolate that to mean that we should have no reason to fear that having our babies will kill us.

adgirl

Statistics

Postby adgirl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:33 am

I did a search on here for statistics on maternal death from PE, and found that about 2 women per week in the US die from this horrible disease. I understand that is well below epidemic proportions, but it's WAY too many in my book.

My question is, does anyone here know how often maternal death happens outside of a first pregnancy? Everyone seems to think that if you're being watched more closely and know the symptoms, you should be okay. Are the statistics much lower for people who have experienced PE before and are under the care of a high risk Dr?

In other words, do you think that if we're under good care and know what to look for that we can prevent maternal death? I know the health of the baby is trickier b/c the disease can cause them to be born so early that there is not much that can be done, but wondering specifically about the mother.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”