Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Relationships between Preemies and owning Cats

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Relationships between Preemies and owning Cats

Postby hannahsmom » Wed May 26, 2004 07:55 pm

We had two cats when I was pregnant (and four dogs lol! But my in-laws inherited the dogs from us). We gave away the cats right before Hannah came home [:(]. But the docs said with her lung problems that we had no choice but to find new homes for our furry friends.

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby browncow » Mon Jun 14, 2004 05:54 am

I had an unneutered male cat while I was pregnant. We'd gotten him three years prior to the pregnancy, he spent two years inside and became an outdoor cat about one month before I found out I was pregnant.

My ex said the cat was female when we got him so I named him Nancy Drew. It was too late to change his name when we discovered Nancy had knockers so he remained Nancy.

During my pregnancy, Nancy would come in for about an hour each evening and sit next to me. He'd lean his head unto my lower abdomen, listen to Connor moving around inside, begin purring and fall asleep. He was very protective and wouldn't let the ex come near me, Nancy even spat on him a few times.

I never handled kitty litter whilst pregnant and he was always up to date per immunizations.

I was cautious about contact with Connor and the cat when we came home from the hospital. Nancy was mad/jealous because I'd been gone for a month and brought a new person home. I let him smell her clothes and gave him a receiving blanket to lay on. He didn't get close to her until she was nearly one year old but was protective of her too.

browncow

Postby laura » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:38 am

Yup, we have two cats, too, and when I went through the whole morning sickness part- they'd sidle up next to me in the bathroom and lick my feet (which is weird because they're not "lickers") and took up residence next to me on bedrest- I got the distinct impression that the little furballs were worried. After the baby got here- they did fine, and now are EXTREMELY tolerant of little marauding hands and toddler attempts to use them (forcibly) as throw-pillows. Camille's still trying to teach them how to wave back at her...

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby deerhart » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:46 am

LOL my female dog would do that.. she would sit next to me and rub her head on my leg when I was sick (while my husband screamed HONEY you all right from the living room /slap). Then she would curl up next to me on the couch and lay her head on the side of my tummy... tolerated all the kicks she got too.

What was really wierd is how over protective she was of me, wouldn't let any male she didn't know REALLY well within 50 feet of me without trying to attack them.

What's even weirder was in my second pregnancy she was still protective and stuff but not as protective and not as concerned about me. Almost like she sensed something wasn't quite right from the get go with the first one and the second time things were not as bad. Or maybe the second time around she knew what was going on so she wasn't as concerned LOL.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby browncow » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:30 am

Connor was 1 year old at Christmas, 2002, and Nancy the Man Cat was in the house with her during an usually cold day (cold for Florida, that is).

Connor had toddled over to the Christmas tree, pulled on a branch, and I said, "no no."

Minutes later Nancy walked under the tree and as his tail brushed a branch, Connor looked at him and said, "no no!" The cat gave me an "enough of this" look and went straight to the door.

He doesn't mind spending time with Connor and always lets me know when it's time for him to run free.

browncow

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies