Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Kinda Bummed

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Kinda Bummed

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 04:23 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 04:23 pm

I'm feeling a bit down after Hannah's developmental evaluation. We took her back to the hospital where she was born for her "Graduation" from the early intervention program. She will be three in August and will now be in the hands of the school system as far as developmental concerns. She will be tested to see if she qualifies for the ESE pre-k program in the Fall. Anyway, the pychologist said she is lagging in her motor skills and sent the PT in to talk to us. She has never lacked motor skills and all of her other check-ups she's been fine with motor skills. She has been in ST for almost a year and her speech is now great. But the real thing that made me sad is the pediatrician said he is almost certain Hannah will be diagnosed with ADHD down the road. She has all of the signs. He recommended a book...123 Parenting. Has anyone else read it? I knew she had big problems with attention and her behavior, and now the doctor sees the problems too. Anyone else out there with an ADHD kid? I feel kind of relieved, though. Everyone tells me she is just spoiled and bad, and now we know the real reason, especially for those horrible tantrums. But the pediatrician ended our appointment on a high note. He said that the fact that we were discussing ADHD at this appointment was a miracle...since a lot of other 26 weekers at this age have more problems to deal with. The fact that she is advanced as she is, and that she only has very minor problems. So...if ADHD is the only problem she has...then I'm pretty darn lucky. Thanks for letting me get this out.

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Re : Kinda Bummed

Postby jenn » Thu Jun 10, 2004 04:54 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 04:54 pm

Suzanne,
Hugs!

I assume there is treatment? I'm not clear on what ADHD stands for exactly... or I've been in the sun to long today as ususal. :o)

Hannah is a miricle, she has been sent here for a reason and I know she's out to prove it. This will just be another hurdle - and I'm sure she'll leap it with ease.
We will all be here for you as you learn more aobut this and share it. I know you'll do all possible to help her, and I'll be waiting to hear how thing progress.

All my love.

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (28)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:
Blaze
(miscarriage)

EDD- Thanksgiving! 11.25.04

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/ (updated May 26th, u/s photos in J's gallery)
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby meg » Thu Jun 10, 2004 06:19 pm

by meg (1384 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 06:19 pm

ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disoder ;)

As for the book, was it by chance called "123 Magic, effective parenting for ages 2-12" If so its a GREAT book. I reccomend it to everyone I know! It works wonders on behavior. i cant say enough good about it. its for all kids not just any with "special needs" so dont feel bad about it.
Good luck with everything!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04 Its a girl! So far so good!
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 4 pounds 9 ounces and home!!
meg

Postby hannahsmom » Thu Jun 10, 2004 06:28 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 06:28 pm

Jennie and Meg -

Thanks for your kind words and support - I needed that! Meg, the ped called the book 123 Parenting, but it's probably the same one you're talking about. I'm glad you told me about it. I'll keep you all posted on her progress.

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby laura » Thu Jun 10, 2004 08:04 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 08:04 pm

Suzanne- ME, ME! My DD and I both have ADHD. Allie's primarily inattentive, though. She was diagnosed near Christmas, and started meds. They work wonders for her! She went from struggling academically to winning the school-wide "most improved student" award. It helped with her attitude immeasurably, too. I really think Camille will end up with a dx also- she's very similar to my nephew who is very very (hyperactive) ADD, too. But hey- I wouldn't want her to be the only grandkid on my side (out of six) who doesn't have it!! [:P] It can be a challenge, but now that she's getting treated it's much easier and life here at home is far, far more calm. Hang in there, it gets easier!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby deerhart » Thu Jun 10, 2004 09:51 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Thu Jun 10, 2004 09:51 pm

Alex exhibits behaviors that fall within the moderate to mild ADD, but they aren't sure if its actually ADD or from his language delay.

We have actually tried 123 magic with Alex and its failed miserable =(

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby paljane8 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:26 am

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:26 am

Suzanne,

I am sorry to hear your news. Bummed is an understatement! It is hard to hear that there is something else... The therapy Hannah is getting will put her so much closer to "normal". She will do well. She has fought to survive and succeded from the beginning. She clearly is an example to all of us of what it means to rise above your challenges. There is so much that can be done for ADHD now and if the past is any indication of the future, Hannah will not only work through this challenge, she will excel! You are a strong Mommy! I know how hard all the therapy can be. Janie has OT in 1/2 an hour :).

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

Calvin-8yrs
Saren-7yrs
Scott-5yrs (PE)
Janie-1yr (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Return to Parents of Preemies