How Many Hyperemesis Moms?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : How Many Hyperemesis Moms?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 18, 2003 05:52 pm

My story doesn't quite make sense. I had hyperemesis in my first pregnancy. I vomited at least 8 times a day from even before I knew I was pregnant up until the day I delivered my twins. I was miserable but I did not have any blood pressure issues.

I have only vomited 2 times during this pregnancy but I have PIH.

Jared - DH
Skyla & Haley 12-16-98 (twins, 33 weeks - no bp issues though!)
"Baby boy" EDD 8-22-03

Postby cathyw » Fri Jul 18, 2003 05:16 pm

I vomited 3-4 times/day from weeks 10 to 20. The wierd part is that I did not really feel that nauseated. Any strong odor caused me to throw up so restaurants, movies, the lunch room at work were all off limits to me. Even if a co-worker walked by me with coffee, the vomiting would start. Everyone at work quickly learned to stay away from me..LOL. I did not gain any weight in the pregnancy until week 20....Ugh, just thinking about that time makes me sick.

Postby laura » Fri Jul 18, 2003 02:29 pm

twilight- I know what you're talking about.. my hyperemesis just suddenly sort of lifted with this last one around 25 (though I would retch and gag all the way to the end) so that week, we ate at every restaurant I had wanted to eat at in the previous five months- we about had to take out a loan for groceries the next week- I ate steak, prime rib, lobster, king crab legs, bbq salmon, pizza, pancakes- you name it- all in about five days. My husband thought it was sooo funny- he was like "slow down, I PROMOSE I won't let anyone take it away from you!"
( I must be hungry- I lingered over that food description far too long[:0])

DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)

Postby twlightdreams » Fri Jul 18, 2003 02:21 pm

I had hyperemisis (started being sick 9 days past ovulation), until the week I delivered my girls at 28 weeks. Once I got the hickman feeding tube put in and got on TPN at home, at 17 weeks, I did begin to improve, but still threw up countless times a day until after I delivered. It was only 2 weeks time between getting the hickman put in, and the beginnings of PE starting. I literally did not eat from December-June, and that is no joke. And after I went home from delivering, I really ate like I hadnt eaten in 6 months [:0]

Amber 6-18-90
Nicole 6-18-90 (formally 28 weeker twin preemies: 1 lb. 9 oz & 2 lbs. 10 oz. born via emergency c-section due to pre-e and HELLP)now perfectly healthy 13 year olds

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 18, 2003 01:40 pm

On the other hand, while I had very little sickness, I should note that I lost 20+ lbs in the first 5 montsh with my first pregnancy and about 17lbs in the 1st 5 months in my second pregnancy. I didn't gain hardly any of the weight back until I started having BP problems in both as well.

So the only thing I would have in common is the weight loss.

Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:37 am

I'm with Erin, my mother puked her guts up with me on a regular basis, the thinnest she's every been was the morning she gave birth to me.. full term, almost 6 lbs. I have only ever felt nauseated with my pregnancies and only rarely threw up. Maybe I split it with mom, she did the hyperemesis and I did the pre-eclampsia. My sister sails through pregnancies, full term, and deliveries (2-3 hours of labor and a couple of pushes, no epidural) and she's the sickliest one of the lot of us!! No justice.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (1 1/2)
Chloe (7/2/03)

Postby shimmer » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:54 am

I was borderline Hypermesis... my Old OB refused to say I was. I threw up daily (multiple times) and could barely keep water down most days... until 19wks. I went into Ketosis a couple of times due to being unable to keep food down, and lost 10+ lbs in the first Trimester.

I even missed Valentine's Day dinner out because I could not stop puking even with the meds.

But I also do not have Pre-E so far, just PIH.

Laurelin EDD 10/5/03
C-Section 9/29/03 or sooner.
Large Fibroid Tumor 17wks.
PIH since 21wks.
Placenta Previa found at 23wks.
Headaches starting at 25wks.
23-27wks Laure's Right Kidney is Dialated (monitoring with U/S for progress).
As of 27wks Baby is Breech...

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:16 am

Nope, I had very little morning sickness, but I can't handle vitamins.

On the other hand, my mother spent a vast majority of her pregnancy with me sick.

Postby rachel » Fri Jul 18, 2003 07:32 am

Count me in! I was sick all 7 months. Even threw up the week she was born. The severity lessened somewhat the last couple of months, but, it was awful. I remember thinking that had to be the worst part of pregnancy. At least there is a definite "end" to labor. The m/s just went on & on!

Mommy to Kailee - born at 28 weeks
1lb. 13 oz.

Postby angelical » Fri Jul 18, 2003 06:26 am

Count me in! Hypermesis from Christmas til April. Preeclampsia/HELLP became critical at the end of April. Delivered May 2.

"We spend months feeling like we are gonna die...then we almost do." [xx(]

(Laura, the hypermesis is a BIG reason I don't ever want to be pregnant again. I don't think I could be that sick, work fulltime, AND take care of Aaron. ugh)

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Return to “Ask the Experienced”