Blood Pressure Calibration etc.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Blood Pressure Calibration etc.

Postby newmommymar04 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:06 am

What is the best blood pressure machine to use?

I have a manual pump type at home with the arm cuff ( same like used at drs office )

but It needs to be caibrated.

Does anyone know how to calibrate them???

I want to make sure that my blood pressure readings are accurate and im not sure of the best kind to use at home etc

Thanks ,

Christy
newmommymar04

Re : Blood Pressure Calibration etc.

Postby deerhart » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:18 am

unless you are trained on how to self take a manual BP your best bet is to either have someone who is trained to take it or to get a digital BP machine.
The digital machines come in 2 varities.
- self inflating
- manual inflating

Arm cuffs are the most accurate of them all, but they also offer wrist cuffs and finger cuff machines.

I had a manual inflating BP machine and one of the best things about it was I could do a reading, save it, and show it to the doc.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby newmommymar04 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:24 am

the digital ones are accurate? I had read they werent.

I was trained 3 years ago to take blood pressure but its pretty simple.. you listen and look at the meter. When your heartbeat starts ie:you can hear it and jumps on the meter its your systolic and when it stops in the hearing and stops jumping on the meter its the diastolic. ( am i right on this ? )My mom is nurse and could give me a refresher course If I sound like I need one.

Ive got that part down but I heard that the meter needed to be calibrated and must need to be because I know my blood pressure isnt 100/50 LMAO! (as my machine at home says ) although i would like it to be =)

newmommymar04

Postby deerhart » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:32 am

digital meters are just as accuarate as manual readings (remember manual readings can be inaccuarate if done incorrectly and can very depending on who takes them). Most L&D wards use self inflating digital BP machines to take your BP.
This way the y don't have to worry about which nurse takes the reading because each one can get a completely different reading.

From what I also understand, its much harder to take an accurate manual BP reading on yourself versus taking it on someone else. I am not sure if its because its harder to be in the correct position or if its considered more inaccurate because your not supposed to be moving when you take your reading (and if your doing it yourself you propably are to hold the stethscope, watch the clock, and the gauge)

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby newmommymar04 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:36 am

Okay.. I will go buy a digital one today at the store.

Does it need to be Calibrated though or should it come ready to be used.
I will bring it with me to the dr's office to make sure my readings are the same as theirs on Monday but until then do you know ?
newmommymar04

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:30 am

Hi Girls!
I just wanted to let you know that I have purchased MANY BP machines in the past and taken them back to the store after taking them to Dr's appts with me. (To check the accuracy!) The best one I have bought is the generic one from Walgreens. It is a Walgreens brand. It records up to 100 past BP's. So you dont have to write them down right away. Its is SIMPLE to use. AND FAST! But most importantly it is accurate! It knows how high to inflate. It does not automatically inflate to 160 or 200 like some. It is great! I paid $69 or $79 fot it. Plus, I have NEVER gotton an error reading like I always did with other ones! (especially the rely-on)

Good Luck!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby newmommymar04 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:32 am

do you have a model # or anything?

Thats where I was going to go was walgreens. I take it this is a digital one?

newmommymar04

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:46 am

It is a digital!

Here is the model #...BD-6080W.

It comes with a lil' black carrying case also. I think you will like it.

Good Luck! I know my Walgreens here only carried this brand, which suprised me! I figured it would have a variety of brands.

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:48 am

As far as 'calibrated'. Its ready to use. I have not heard of having to do this to a digital. Maybe I am wrong there?!?!

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Return to Ask the Experienced