Weight gain issues

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Weight gain issues

Postby deerhart » Mon Jan 12, 2004 01:51 pm

well I don't know if your ped told you this or not, but typically the 15-18 month range is a time when child's weight slows down drastically.
My oldest was 31 lbs at a year, 32lbs at 18 months 32.5 lbs at 2 years 35 lbs at 3.2 years and actually has gained like 4 lbs in the last 9 months (and a number of inches).

While a 1/2 a lb in a year doesn't seem like its all that much I have noticed that at least my oldest seems to gain wieght in bunches, then doesn't gain any for a lon tiem. During that time, he instead seems to grow in height.

Also remember that if he is up and walking this will slow down weight gain as well, which may be followed by a sudden jump in weight (fat turning to muscle).

It doesn't seem like he's lost any weight which is good, but he could really just have a high metabolism which would cause him to not gain weight quickly (nice when your in your 20's not so nice when your 2 and mom's worried!)

Defintely talk to your ped, I have heard both positve and negative results from some of the stuff they can do to try to help.

Wish I could help more, but we had the opposite problem for the longest time, they gained weight too quickly.

Mommy to Alex and Mason

Re : Weight gain issues

Postby angelical » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:23 am

Are those percentiles for his "real"/birth age, or his corrected/due date age?

For Aaron (28 weeker; born May 2, 2002), I still look at what he "would have been". He's about 23 pounds.

We, and the ped, have always been happy with Aaron's size, so I can't really give you any help on that...other than to wish you luck. [:)]

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!

Weight gain issues

Postby robynh » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:10 am

Oliver will be 2 in March and still hasn't hit 20 pounds. He's currently 19 months corrected and is 19lbs. 5oz. and 31 inches long. That puts him below the 3rd percentile for weight for height.

Have any of you had to deal with lack of weight gain? If so, what did your ped recommend? We've tried all kinds of tricks to boost calories, pediasure, etc. but none have really seemed to work. He has completely fallen off his growth curve and has only gained about 1/2 pound in a little over a year. I've scheduled an appt. to see his ped. in February to see what we can do. I don't know if I just have to live with this and wait to see if he'll grow or if we should be more aggressive. My nephew had a G-tube for an oral aversion and severe reflux, so we're familiar with that. I hate to do something that drastic. Oliver definitely has a good appetite and eats quite a bit. He doesn't have any sensory issues with food, allergies, or reflux. I just don't know what to do!

Any advice???

Mom to Oliver, 27-weeker,3/13/02, and Max, FT,11/25/98

Return to “Parents of Preemies”