when did you take baby out in public

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : when did you take baby out in public

Postby kellyebush » Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:43 pm

I had a 23 weeker in May 2004 who spent 141 days in the NICU. Initially we were told by the NICU staff that we should not leave our house from October-April unless it was to go to the FREQUENT doctors appointments. Then, as my son got to be 7 1/2 pounds when he was about to be released the first weekend in October, we had a couple of nurses take us aside and talk to us about "outings." We were told that there was absolutely no way that we would be able to spend the next 5 months quarantined in our house with our DS and our other two children (girls age 2 and 4). The nurses' advice was this: go out to whereever you need to go, but leave the baby in his carrier, put the carrier down inside a store basket and leave it covered with a light blanket so that people won't notice him. We went LOTS of places, including Christmas shopping with our little guy (who was on an apnea monitor that was in the basket with him). Most of the time we made it through Walmart or the grocery store without anyone even noticing that there was a baby in our "second" basket. I had a part time job at night in retail (handling money) and my husband worked in retail sales and we made it through the first two RSV seasons after our son was born without anyone in our house getting sick. You CAN go out, even with a preemie, if you are diligent about hand washing and changing your clothes before you handle baby when you get home. Doctors will always warn against it, and if you can avoid going out then you should...but not if you are going to lose your mind from being cooped up in your house.
kellyebush

Postby ~*mandy*~ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 02:44 am

Its been a while since DD was that little but when she was about 3 weeks old is when I braved it and took her out to walmart. HOWEVER she was completely bundled in her carseat the whole time with the carseat cover on and the flap was down a little bit. I agree with the other ladies to bring it up with the Pedi. She was 36 weeks so she didn't have really any complications at all. If she would have I would have made dh stay at home with her and went shopping myself. I just needed to get out of the house for a little bit.
~*mandy*~

Postby jayme » Mon Feb 01, 2010 01:14 am

Mine were 33 weekers, so not as little at birth- and were born in June. I took them out right away once they came home from the NICU (not quite two weeks after they were born). They were mostly feeders and growers though in the NICU.
jayme

Postby deerhart » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:22 am

With our oldest (37 wks born at the end of April) we were told to keep him away from crowds etc.. for the first 4 months. With our youngest (36wks Oct) we got no restrictions (due to him having 2.5 yo brother in daycare to bring home all the germs). My youngest did pick up a light case of RSV, but he could have picked it up from his Hernia surgery in January (he was in a small daycare at that time with just him, his brother, and two other kids).

When we took the kids out and they we in the carset in the stroller, we always turned the stroller into a pram, thus anyone leaning over to look in were at their feet.
deerhart

Postby holiday » Wed Feb 17, 2010 04:00 pm

deerhart, my daughter got H1N1 from being at hospital with hernia surgery!
holiday

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies