I am relatively new and need suggestions

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

I am relatively new and need suggestions

Postby alimarie » Sat Dec 13, 2003 02:06 pm

Hey Ladies,

I have been reading posts for a long time now and have been wanting to participate. My husband and I have recently stopped bcontrol measures and are taking a lets see what happens attitude. My question is about any precautions you all have taken during the trying phase. has anyone started taking extra calcium or vitamins during this stage? I am curious as to what drs. recommend. i obviously know there is no prevention for pre e. wouldn't we all love it if there were!! My first pregnancy ended at 35 wks due to very severe pre-e. of course we are scared at the possibility of it reoccuring but hopeful that it will not.
last but not least..i have been reading about all those learning they are pregnant recently...send some prayers are way would you??? you guys obviously have some input for the girls in the forum! looking forward to getting to know you all and hearing more about you guys. also looking forward to giving good news of my own...(fingers crossed!)

alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Re : I am relatively new and need suggestions

Postby akemt » Sat Dec 13, 2003 04:21 pm

Alison,

My fingers are crossed for you too! And it does seem like we have a sudden baby boom, doesn't it? lol My only suggestion is that you go see your doctor about being tested for any underlying causes...things like autoimmune disorders or clotting disorders. The more you know about what might be causing it, the better your chance of fighting it, in my opinion. Look at me...I'm advising you do something I haven't done! lol Actually, I tried but didn't follow up on it. ANYWAY, I have promised myself that if I get PIH/PE again, I will be tested.

Hope you get the news you're looking for soon!!! And DEFINATELY let us know! Best of luck (and prayers)!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby alimarie » Sat Dec 13, 2003 06:36 pm

catherine,

thanks for the quick reply. i think your advice is a good idea. i am not sure how to go about being tested. i guess the first step would be talking with my obgyn. unfortunately we have moved since having our daughter and i am no longer in the same group. i wanted to go through another pregnancy with those doctors because they were familiar with my case and all. the dr. i saw here said they wouldn't do anything different with me than any other person except extra monitoring. i am not sure how i feel about that. i wish they would have said they would try this or that. i know there is nothing to prevent it but if we were trying to reduce the risks somehow i would feel more confident. i plan to see another dr. when and if i actually get pregnant. boy do i have the baby itch!! i have read that you recently conceived and in the first month...that would be awesome! of course then i ask my self..am i really ready? i felt the same way before my daughter.
how is your pregnancy going? are you feeling well? i have often wondered if a second pregnancy will be totally different. i didn't have any morning sickness or any other problems until later. what about you? has it been similar or totally different? hope to hear from you soon
alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Postby deerhart » Sat Dec 13, 2003 07:13 pm

about the only prevention measure that you can take is to have blood tests done to check for underlying problems (kidney/liver problems, blood clotting disorders etc..) If any of these things come back showing problems, it can be that treating the issue during your pregnancy will prevent the PE from reoccuring. For example if your found to have a blood clotting disorder, they may be able to successful treat you with heprin or just baby asprin.

Otherwise, until further steps are made in determining what actually causes PE to occur then it really is more of a wait and see approach. Since it also seems to occur possibly for different reasons in different people, its hard to tell what steps to take with each person that might be successful.

GL!
Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby taras mom » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:15 am

This probably goes without saying, but be sure to get your folate every day.[:)]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby alimarie » Sun Dec 14, 2003 09:14 pm

Ok, i need a refresher...is folate the same as folic acid? it has been awhile since i have read the pregnancy books! have you guys all had testing for underlying problems? would my obgyn do that or my general practicitioner? thanks!

alison

alimarie

Postby mada » Mon Dec 15, 2003 07:13 am

Hi Alison,
Yes folate is folic acid[:)] Don't woory I had to ask the pharmacist the same question my 2cnd time around...A couple things I wanted to mention is Since you have moved and will be seeing a different doc, I owuld request a copy of your medical chart from that office so that you may give it to the new docs. This way they have all the info from your last pregnancy. The other thing oyu might want to do is have a consult with a perinatoligist (high risk OB) to talk about issues and possible underlying problems. They will know what test to give ect. Good luck an dlet us know how everything is going[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby akemt » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:10 am

Alison,

This pregnancy *SO FAR* has been different, though I guess not really. I still have an appetite! lol With my last pregnancy I got hyperemesis gravidarum (excessive vomitting) at about 8 wks pg. I haven't hit that mark quite yet so I cannot know for sure, but I'm hopeful it won't come back! I think I'm about 7 wks by lmp, but doubt I'm really that far along. Wow, barely pg. lol Other than that, I have been quite tired and have a little bloating or gassy feeling and that's about it.

I am going to a new OB this time around too (we've moved). And though I haven't seen them yet, they do seem to be taking my past history quite seriously...hoping that continues! I have a copy of my medical records from my first pregnancy to give them, like someone suggested to you. They were impressed and a bit releived when I told them that.

And, had I known we'd conceive on the first try, I probably would have weighed it a little more too! lol Atleast one more month! [;)] It is nice to know that I don't have to worry about fertility issues though. Except maybe birth control any time I don't want to get pg! Yikes.

Doing a fertility dance for you since that seemed to work for me! [:D] lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby evansmom » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:57 am

HI Allison, I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and taking a baby aspirin (81mg) before bedtime and those Viactive calcium suppliments. (I also take a very low dose of atenolol, a bp drug). I developed HBP during my last pregnancy that never resolved after birth ( so now I am considered a chronic hypertensive). Anyway, my OB has recommended the aspirin since SOME studies have shown that it has prevented preeclampsia in high-risk patients. I am considered high risk for developing preeclampsia this time due to the HBP. I don't know if its going to work, but so far, I haven't had any problems with it. I don't know if it would be appropriate in your case, but it is something you can ask about. Gook Luck!
Lauren 27
DH Jeff
DS Evan 12/9/01
Edd 7/11/04
evansmom

Postby iansmom » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:36 am

Hi - Evansmom I just realized our due dates are so close! As for the supplements, I take lots of calcium and will begin a baby aspirin 2nd trimester. I read somewhere that loading up on antioxidants before preg might help also. So you kindof have a stockpile. Good luck.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?