Nicotine restores endothelial dysfunction

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Nicotine restores endothelial dysfunction

Postby caryn » Sat May 08, 2010 04:58 pm

Nicotine significantly facilitated endothelial migration and tube formation. By contrast, soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 and/or soluble endoglin suppressed these endothelial functions. Nicotine restored these soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 and/or soluble endoglin-reduced endothelial functions. Placental growth factor, but not transforming growth factor-beta1, production was significantly stimulated by the presence of nicotine...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20223446

Well, that's probably why smokers have a lower incidence. I wonder if that's why we invented smoking. (DO NOT START SMOKING. Yes, it is incredibly frustrating that doing everything right makes it more likely that you'll get preeclampsia, but drugs and cigarettes are still really, really bad for you.)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Nicotine restores endothelial dysfunction

Postby catherine » Sat May 08, 2010 07:51 pm

Nicotine is also recognized to inhibit bone repair... so not everything grows better under its influence.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby jules2 » Sun May 09, 2010 04:49 am

Has anyone considering trying Nicotine Replacement Therapies during pregnancy? ... As a research trial I mean?
jules2

Postby caryn » Sun May 09, 2010 08:48 am

Well, the trick there is that we know that nicotine causes other significant pregnancy problems, so it isn't an easy thing to trial. It does interfere with this particular cascade, but it's a player in all sorts of other stuff too. And smokers still get PE -- just at a lower rate -- so even though it interferes in this pathway it doesn't always do so effectively, for reasons not yet known. (Dose-response maybe.)

I just realized that I didn't explain the relevance of this very well at all. Both soluble FLT (or sFlt-1) and soluble endoglin (or sEng) are implicated in the onset of PE/HELLP symptoms. One is a VEGF antagonist and seems to cause proteinuria and hypertension while inhibiting placental growth. The other inhibits the TGB-beta cascade, which is a fancy way of saying that it breaks a lot of stuff. There's more about these particular proteins in the links in my .sig, and I'll pop the critical studies up later today.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby jules2 » Sun May 09, 2010 04:03 pm

No, wouldn't get through ethics / IRB. I suppose I was just wondering if there was a safer delivery system; I'm not going to try it personally though.
jules2

Postby caryn » Mon May 10, 2010 01:56 pm

I wonder if there's a way to administer nicotine while blocking the addictive effects, which are probably the biggest concern ethically... though as Catherine points out it also mucks with bone growth and a bunch of other cascades. Though maybe blocking that pathway would imply blocking this cholinergic pathway and then you wouldn't get the benefit.
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News