Toll-Like Receptor 3 Activation During Preg.

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Re : Toll-Like Receptor 3 Activation During Preg.

Postby blythe » Sat Oct 03, 2009 03:28 pm

I did a quick pubmed search - looks like there's a (small?) correlation, and this current study is looking at possible causal relationships?
Maternal infection and risk of preeclampsia: systematic review and metaanalysis.
...Urinary tract infection and periodontal disease during pregnancy are associated with an increased risk of preeclampsia. More studies are required to verify this as well as to explore whether or not such relationships are causal and, if so, the mechanisms involved.
Association between maternal infections and preeclampsia: a systematic review of epidemiologic studies.
CONCLUSIONS: In our analysis, any infection (bacterial or viral) was associated with a two-fold higher risk of preeclampsia. This association may provide a potential explanation for preeclampsia-related inflammation.

Forum Moderator

Re : Toll-Like Receptor 3 Activation During Preg.

Postby catherine » Fri Oct 02, 2009 09:32 pm

Uh... yes I do, in a somewhat peripheral sense.

Um, the disconnect for me here is that TLR3 specifically recognizes double stranded RNA which only occurs in nature in the context of certain (but not all) viruses. The poly I:C administered to the animals in these experiments is a synthetic compound that mimics viral RNA. So immune cells that carry this receptor become activated when the viral ligand sticks to it. Hence the authors' comment that viral infection during pregnancy could trigger preeclampsia.

I'd have thought that someone somewhere has looked quite exhaustively by now for some evidence for an infectious cause or trigger for preeclampsia.....

Forum Moderator

Toll-Like Receptor 3 Activation During Preg.

Postby caryn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 07:45 pm

These findings demonstrate that sustained maternal immune system activation via TLR3 during pregnancy causes PE-like symptoms in rats and suggest that viral infection during pregnancy may contribute to the development of PE.

Catherine works on this stuff. I think basically it's saying that anything that pisses off your immune system in pregnancy pisses off your immune system, and can therefore lead to preeclampsia, which is pretty much *defined* at this point as an ineluctably pissed-off immune system in pregnancy.

Hopefully Catherine will riff on this further. :-)

Information provided on this site is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disorder, or prescribing any medication. The Preeclampsia Foundation presents all data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained on the site. Professional opinions on this condition vary greatly. The Preeclampsia Foundation endorses no one course of treatment or "cure".

Return to “Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News”