My first peri appt. - good news, bad news?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

My first peri appt. - good news, bad news?

Postby lauras » Thu Jan 01, 2004 07:19 am

My first appt. was yesterday. Bad news first (maybe not exactly bad news?): By my LMP I figured to be 8 wks, 1 day pregnant but the ultrasound showed 6 wks, 1 day. Also showed a small (1 cm x 1.5 cm) subchorionic hemmorhage. This kind of scared me.

Good news: I love the perinatologist. He has a practice with 5 NP's and they seem great, too. They had me do the ultrasound before my appt so I got to see the heartbeat; that was cool. Then I met with a NP first who started taking down my information and when I got to the 30 wk pe delivery and the aunts with spina bifida and lupus she stopped, excused herself, got the peri and the rest of the hour long session was spent with the both of them. My appt ended with 9 vials of blood being sent to the lab to do all of the post pre-eclampsia testing he likes to do, along with a request for a 24 hr. urine catch for current kidney function. Right now they have me on rest and no lifting, stretching, etc. because of the SCH for a week. My appts. will be every 2 wks until they deem it necessary to go every week. We'll talk more about any other precautions at my next appt. when they'll have my labs back.

Does anyone know if the subchorionic hemmorhage is a really bad sign to start with? It doesn't sound that good to me but they said that actually small ones like this are quite common - hopefully not just to a high risk dr. I'm taking the rest thing seriously and haven't had any cramping or spotting for a few days already. But I'm really anxious for the next to weeks to be over with to see what they have to say next time.

Laura 31
DH 31
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
lauras

Re : My first peri appt. - good news, bad news?

Postby akemt » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:38 pm

WOW! Your doctor and nurses sound great! Want to send them my way?! [;)] I'm so sorry about the hemmorhage. Hopefully it is just as they say (common) and it will lessen and disappear completely the farther along you get. Not that I really know anything about them!

I also am not as far along as my lmp would say, but I had figured on that. Would rather be a bit farther though...then maybe I'd be closer to the end of my nausea! lol

I really didn't have any response to your question, I just hate it when people's posts are left unanswered. [:D] Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will answer now that the hollidays are about over and we'll be getting back to our routines.

Best Wishes...and definately let us know what they say at your next apt!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby julie f » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:15 pm

Laura,

I did a search on WebMD and found a couple links for you - it looks like these are high-risk pregnancy Q&A sessions and there are a couple of questions from women w/subchorionic hemorrages.

http://my.webmd.com/search/search_results?query=subchorionic+bleeding&filter=mywebmd_all_filter&channelId=

Hope it helps a little! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I'm so glad you like your peri, that is so important.

Keep us updated!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby lauras » Sat Jan 03, 2004 06:17 am

Thanks for responding to my not really preeclampsia related question. I did check out the links posted and did some more searching. The indications are that for a small one like I have they usually reabsorb fairly quickly. Lets hope that happens! I've basically been on strict bedrest not so much by my doctor but by my nervous husband and my terrified mother. The doctor said rest was best so hopefully it will make a difference.

Well, I'll be back when I get the results from my tests but I'm told my time at the computer is up so.... back to watching movies on the couch.

Why is it so thrilling to see a man washing dishes?

Laura 31
DH 31
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
lauras

Postby catherine » Sat Jan 03, 2004 08:40 am

They are even more attractive cleaning a toilet.. flushed with success!!![;)]

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Return to Pregnant Again?