Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Quad screen and elevated hcg

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Quad screen and elevated hcg

Postby tanrad » Sat Nov 08, 2003 05:19 pm

by tanrad (12 Posts), Sat Nov 08, 2003 05:19 pm

Hello- I'm 19 weeks preg with 3rd(and it's a girl-yippee!). My dr called and told me the rest of my quad screen was normal, BUT, he is concerned with the Hcg level part of it that shows placental function. My level was 2.79, and normal is below 2.0. He wanted to make sure i was taking the baby aspirin, and kept my bp meds the same for now(Labetolol 100mg BID and Aldomet 250mg BID)> I see my Doc and the perinatologist(been there twice so far)in 3 days, he said we will discuss it further then. Has anyone else had this type of result from the quad screen? This test was not done on me with my last pregnancy over 7 years ago.

Tanya(35)
Jake(37)
Shaun (14 y/o- 34wks w/ severe PE)
Garrett (7 y/o- 38 wks- starting PE)

tanrad

Re : Quad screen and elevated hcg

Postby catherine » Sat Nov 08, 2003 07:23 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sat Nov 08, 2003 07:23 pm

Hi Tanya, I'm not sure if it is exactly the same thing but when I was pregnant with my PE baby, my Quad screen came back with an elevated risk for Down's relative to my age. First time around, DS, numbers were fine, then with Chloe, the latest, they were fine again. I think that there is anecdotal evidence (science-speak for people have noticed but nobody has done the correct statistics to confirm or otherwise) that women who have subsequently gone on to develop hypertensive problems in pregnancy get funky numbers although their babies have no genetic problems. I actually chose to do the test this last time for this reason, I had no warning at all when I got sick with Lucy, (I'd no problems with my son) and I was really curious to see if I might get a "hint" of a problem to come. Maybe it worked but who could tell. At our ages, I was 35 having Lucy, it's not uncommon for the numbers to drift anyway. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..... It sounds like you have a good Dr who keeps on top of every little thing which is great.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby tanrad » Mon Nov 10, 2003 07:46 am

by tanrad (12 Posts), Mon Nov 10, 2003 07:46 am

Thanks Catherine for your reply. I see dr and peri tomorrow, can't wait to talk to them. I'm trying not to become too worried, but this pregnancy has been so different from my other 2 from the beginning. I had 2 episodes of heavy bleeding at 9 and 11 weeks(all ok), then hyperemesis followed by dehydration on top of the chronic HTN. It's been alot. My doc cut my work hours to part-time a few weeks ago to give me more time to rest, which has helped. But mentally, with the history i have and the fact that I am a Sonographer and see way too much(although we don't do high-risk pregnancies here), I'm worrying.
I'll let you know how I make out at dr's- I have total confidence in them.

Tanya(35)
Jake(37)

tanrad

Postby tanrad » Thu Nov 13, 2003 08:52 am

by tanrad (12 Posts), Thu Nov 13, 2003 08:52 am

I had my level 2 US two days ago and the baby is growing perfect, but my uterine artery doppler was abnormal. My right uterine artery was fine, but the left was not perfusing at a normal rate and i will be getting scanned in 4 weeks again. My peri explained that the elevated HCG level was not a surprise to him because of my history of chronic hypertension, and also it could be elevated because of the bleeding i had in the 1st trimester. He assured me that we will watch very, very closely and is very optimistic in my case. They also ordered more labs and 24 hour urine. Also, my aldomet was increased to 3 times per day. I'm feeling more confident now, and just taking it day by day!

Tanya(35)
Jake(37)

tanrad

Postby catherine » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:42 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:42 am

Tanya, sounds pretty good altogether. YOur peri has obviously got you under a microscope. Now I guess you get to sit and wait, or should I say sit and nag with a 7 year old in the house [;)]!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby tanrad » Fri Nov 14, 2003 08:22 am

by tanrad (12 Posts), Fri Nov 14, 2003 08:22 am

Thanks! Actually my 7 y/o is the easy going one, it's my 14 y/o son who does the nagging!(ha ha) . But honestly, both of them have been so great through this so far, they understand the best they can of the situation and are quite helpful(of course, Christmas is coming, maybe that's the motivation).
I'm at work and just peeked with ultrasound, she's moving around like a dancer. I swore i wouldn't scan myself This time, but that's a hard promise to keep.
I'll keep you posted...[:)]

Tanya(35)
Jake(37)

tanrad

Postby catherine » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:38 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:38 am

Tanya, you are cracking me up!! One of my colleague's sister is also a sonographer and has been know to peek even before her period was due!! I suspect that each of her kids photoalbums start at least 8 months before the first "outside" picture!!

The girl thing is going to be sooooo great, I dearly love my boy but apart from having way more fun shopping for clothes, Lucy is so much more cooperative. She has only a few words but can ask for a tissue for her nose and presents said bodypart for wiping voluntarily AND this morning, she managed to get the word "poopie", the run to the bathroom, the sitting and the function ALL IN THE CORRECT ORDER!!!! Boy am I proud of her. Finn didn't know what a potty was for until he was about 3!!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby tanrad » Tue Dec 09, 2003 04:47 pm

by tanrad (12 Posts), Tue Dec 09, 2003 04:47 pm

update- it's been awhile since i've been able to get on the computer! i'm 23wks now, and had another peri visit today, baby growing wonderfully and my left uterine artery doppler readings improved slightly and the placenta looks good so far. Also, all of my labs were totally normal, including 24hr urine. My BP's are still a little on the fluctuating side, we got a reading of 158/98 at dr's yesterday , then after on my left side for 15 minutes it went to 140/88. The doctor was not too concerned, as that is 'normal' for me , even before pregnancy. So, we carry on as usual and pray for the best!

Tanya(35)
Jake(37)

tanrad

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 09, 2003 05:31 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue Dec 09, 2003 05:31 pm

Tanya,

Congratulations on your "stable" condition! I'm so glad to hear that the baby is growing appropriately and that your arterial flow has increased (even though slightly)! YAY! [:D] I have been reading your posts and look forward to hearing more updates!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby catherine » Tue Dec 09, 2003 07:32 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Tue Dec 09, 2003 07:32 pm

I'm glad to hear that things are going well Tanya. Are you "peeking" at your arteries? I hope that the kids are helping out and letting you rest. I swear that Finn [}:)] (portrait) did his best to elevate my bps.

Enjoy the holidays... I'm in a festive mood[:D], for the first time ever we put up lights on our house AND my tree is up. We are getting soooo American [;)].

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?