New prospective father

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : New prospective father

Postby sandy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 08:50 am

Hi Paul! Thanks for checking in. I was about to send you a "how's it going?" message. What a relief that things seem to be calming down for now. Keep us posted.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby paljane8 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 am

Hey Paul,

I am glad for the good news. Did they tell you what her fluid is measuring? A nice number to be around is 15cm. How often are doing ultra sounds? The very best to both of you! We love good news around here!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby akemt » Tue Feb 24, 2004 04:44 pm

So your wife is about 36 weeks pregnant now? That's fabulous. I had low fluid (oligo) with my last pregnancy and it was an *interesting* go round. My fluid levels fluctuated from dangerously low back up again (while on bedrest) then slowly fell again the farther along I got and the higher my Blood pressure krept. It's great that you're so close to the finish line. LEt us know how things go!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby paul1968uk » Wed Mar 03, 2004 02:07 pm

Update !

On Monday we had a check-up with the midwife, Sarah's blood pressure was through the roof, and there was protein in the urine again - it had been clear for a couple of weeks.

We went straight to the hospital, where[url][/url] the admitted her for observation. I went home at about 7pm, and at about 8pm, received a call from the hospital to say that the bloodwork had come back from the lab, and they were not happy so were going to do a c.section that night.

I hot-footed back to the hospital, briefly saw sarah before they took her to surgery, and then waited around for a couple of hours.

It seems that sarah's platelet count had dropped to dangerously low levels (below 40) - I'm guessing that this is a sign of pre-eclampsia.

The midwife said later that they had come very close to losing her.

Anyway, Baby boy was delivered at 9:38pm on 1st March weighing 2.45kg (5lb6oz for you non-metric types), and both mother and baby are doing fine, despite the delivery being exactly one month early.

Baby was kept in an incubator as a precaution for the first day, but is now in a normal cot.

Thanks for all your support guys - it was great to be able to post here when I was at my lowest and get some friendly words from people who knew what I was going through. I was able to sit and wait for the delivery prepared for what was going on, and could remain perfectly calm (actually, I think my calmness bothered some of the hospital staff :) )
paul1968uk

Postby catherine » Wed Mar 03, 2004 02:22 pm

Congratulations Paul and Sarah, that is wonderful news. I'm sure that your baby boy will do very well now. All of my kids were born at almost 36 weeks and have grown like weeds.

It sounds to me like Sarah might have had HELLP syndrome. It is pretty scary when all of a sudden things start moving so fast.

Please ask her to stop by so we can congratulate her in "virtual" person [;)]. I'm pretty sure that she already knows she caught a good husband in you but we'll be happy to add our recommendations.

We're also not adverse to pictures we can coo over... hint.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby julie f » Wed Mar 03, 2004 02:26 pm

Paul,

Congratulations to you and Sarah!! I am so glad that they were able to get her in and him out prior to it getting even worse. 5 1/2 lbs. is great!!

How is Sarah doing now?

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby akemt » Wed Mar 03, 2004 02:32 pm

Does this baby boy have a name? How great that everything turned out well.

Is Sarah getting back to normal? I know that can take quite a while so if that is the case for her, try to reassure her that she's on her way there even if not "normal" yet.

Big Congratulations to your happy family!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby sandy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 02:45 pm

Paul!!!! Congratulations on being a brand new pappa!!! :) Sounds like it got a little squirly there at the end. I'm so happy to have heard your update, and even happier that everyone is doing well. Congratulations!!!!!!!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks. June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby mada » Wed Mar 03, 2004 03:08 pm

Wonderful news!! Congrats on your new role as father and congrats to Sarah as well[:)] Glad it all turned out good despite the circumstances!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby taras mom » Wed Mar 03, 2004 05:33 pm

Congratulations, Paul and Sarah! What's the little bundle's name? Also, I second Catherine's suggestion: We love baby pictures!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

PreviousNext

Return to Dads