a poopy question-worried

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

a poopy question-worried

Postby pugmommy7 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 09:15 am

my 1 week old is having some pretty loose stool.
how do I tell the difference between diarrhea, and brestmilk poop- (which is supposed to be looser than formula fed babies-right?).

my first was fed pumped breast and formula mixed. has pretty good poops from day one.

*(It is not just like brown water, and it is the right color for breastmilk poo)

ped. seemes unconcerned, she is well hydrated and maintaining weight.

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Re : a poopy question-worried

Postby catherine » Sun Jun 06, 2004 09:43 am

Hi Jennifer, exclusively BF babies often have very liquid stools. My kids were all bright yellow with sort of curdy stuff. They always sounded like little expresso machines and I had to train my friends and family to hold them out and away from their clothes if they heard that distinctive noise because that stuff just drools right out the side of the diaper!!! We have one immortal memory of Lucy pooping whilst being changed by her uncle, we heard the yelling downstairs when she literally "blew", all over changing table, wall, uncle and everything else in the vacinity.

The other thing is that, at least in my experience, you rarely if ever get just a wet diaper, every one is usually dirty. What can be a bit disturbing is that as they get older they may start to poop less, Lucy's record was almost a week. This is because they assimilate breastmilk so efficiently that the residue is minimal. So you either see what might be interpreted as diarrhea or extreme constipation.... but it's not!

A ped once asked me if I though that Lucy had diarrhea when she was sick at about a month old... I just looked at him and asked him how on earth he thought that I'd be able to tell!!!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby arj » Sun Jun 06, 2004 01:14 pm

Hi Jennifer,
I think that if Catalina was having diarrhea, it would be very watery. BF poop tends to be loose and often has a seedy appearance. I think that it can range anywhere from green (that probably means that baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough of the rich hindmilk) to bright yellow to a browish color. As long as she is hydrated and gaining weight, I think those are the key issues. I totally know how you feel though... I would study Evan's poop and was very concerned if it was too loose, too brown, too scant, etc. Good luck!

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 05:38 am

Thanks guys!
very helpful!

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:

GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Postby meg » Mon Jun 07, 2004 07:23 am

Yes, exclusively BF babies have very very water poop and poop often, usualy after every feeding. Its usualy mustard yellow and sometimes has grainy appearance and sometimes does not. It can be almost like pure liquicd and that FINE! Totaly normal!!!!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04 Its a girl! So far so good!
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 4 pounds 9 ounces and home!!
meg

Postby catherine » Mon Jun 07, 2004 07:57 am

Forgot to mention this... DH refers to it as "baby honey" 'cos he thinks that they look the same, just less sticky!!

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby pugmommy7 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 07:20 am

hee hee hee- thanks- you guys have put my mind at ease

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to: