New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Solo Walker

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

Solo Walker

Postby jenn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 03:34 pm

I think this will be the best option for me.
Anyone else doing this?
What do I need to do?

Thanks, Jenn
jenn
Forum Moderator

Re : Solo Walker

Postby laura » Tue Feb 19, 2008 03:55 pm

HEY, I want to do it, too. How does it work?
laura

Postby annegarrett » Tue Feb 19, 2008 04:06 pm

You know what would be cool would be for us to get sponsors for miles walked either on a treadmill or during a month. It would not only get us in shape, but it would draw attention to the need for many of our women to focus on fitness. Just thinking outside the box.
annegarrett

Postby laura » Tue Feb 19, 2008 04:09 pm

OOH, I like that idea, Anne
laura

Postby lgw » Tue Feb 19, 2008 05:51 pm

I was a solo walker last year and to my surprise brought in about $1,000. I just sent an email out to friends/family and told them about the cause, that I was walking and how to sponsor me. I think I used the form letter that Kathy McGuire provided and edited it to fit my particulars. I'm going to do it again this year too - unless I can motivate someone other than myself to org a walk.
lgw

Postby aundapenner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 04:12 pm

Hey - this sounds like a great idea!!! How can I do a solo walk here???
aundapenner

Postby misscoleyp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 08:35 pm

I am with you Leslie! I really want to coordinate a walk, but the date is all bad for me this year. My sister is getting married two weeks before and I am planning/coordinating the whole thing. I was thinking of doing a solo walk on May 11 and then doing the for real deal later.

And I love Anne's idea! Since May is Preeclampsia Awareness month that would be great. I have some of those sheets you run off your printer and then iron on a shirt. I'm going to make one (probably two so one is in the wash) to wear to the gym advertising. And my hubby can wear one too. GREAT IDEA!!!
misscoleyp

Postby bicyclist » Sat Feb 23, 2008 00:15 am

I am excited to see you're talking about Solo Walks! On-line registration will be up about mid March. A Friends and Family Walk (called Solo Walk last year) is an informal walk for those that aren't near a formal walk location, want to host a group walk informally, want to build a group to host a formal walk in the future or can't participate on May 10th.

You choose a place and time that works for you on May 10th (or whatever date works best) and register on-line. $15 early registration, $20 for regular registration and $2.50 for shipping of your shirt.

You can walk alone or invite friends and family to join you. You can collect pledges or not collect pledges. Friends and family you invite to join you would also register on-line. You can walk on a treadmill or in your neighborhood. If you're going to collect pledges and would like my letter that Leslie mentioned, email me and I'll send it to you to adapt.

There will be some Solo Walk/Friends & Family conference calls again this year. The dates will be posted on the forum calendar soon.

At Saving Grace Tom talked about our goal to award $100,000 in Young Researcher Grants in 2008 and $1,000,000 in five years. We need your help to get there. Please do what you can...with each person that collects a few pledges, sends in a donation or registers for the Solo/F&F option we really can get there together.

Best Regards,

Kathy Maguire
National Preeclampsia Awareness Walk Chair
bicyclist

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia