New/Reply FAQ Members Login

high BP=headache vs. headache=high BP

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

high BP=headache vs. headache=high BP

Postby akemt » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:58 am

I have a question as to what the general consensus of the feelings the laies around here have. I know that whether a headache causes high blood pressure has been discussed, but was wondering if I could get a quick vote as to which way you tend to go...High bp causes headaches, or headaches cause high BP.

The reason I'm wondering is that yesterday I was not able to keep any food down untill evening, then ended up having a horrid headache that tylenol didn't touch. I had dh take my bp a few times and it was up a bit 136/88 (from a now norm of 120's/70's and a starting low of about 100's/65's). I had not had a headache till last night in this pregnancy and don't normally get headaches at all. Last pregnancy I did get alot of headaches when my BP started going up.

Also, now I'm wondering if I should take my BP cuff with me on our trip tomorrow? We're flying to Washington DC for a week for my brother's wedding. Please send calm baby vibes for our long flight!!! LOL OH, and FYI, I probably won't get on the forum more than maybe once while there?

Thanks ladies!!!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : high BP=headache vs. headache=high BP

Postby jenn122 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 03:05 pm

I'm really not sure, but I would lean towards high blood pressure causes headaches. I normally dont have many headaches, but during my last pregnancy and now this one I have an almost constant headache, that tylenol doesnt help. That is the reason I started taking my bp again this early.

BTW we have really close due dates [:)]

Jennifer

Alayna June 27, 2001
EDD August 4, 2004
http://www.geocities.com/alaynarosetta
jenn122

Postby akemt » Wed Feb 11, 2004 03:07 pm

My LMP due date is actually the 4th, but it's wrong. [;)]

Thanks for responding!

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby suzanne » Wed Feb 11, 2004 05:50 pm

I would vote for the BP causing the headaches, also. I almost never get headaches when non-preg., but get them pretty regularly when preg. I take my BP a lot (too much probably!) and often see that when it's high, I get a headache soon after, but haven't really seen a time when I took it when I had a headache, then my BP went up. But I would guess sometimes headaches CAN raise BP, esp. migraine headaches (which I don't have but know a lot of people who do).

I would take your cuff on the trip, just because if you don't, then that's always the time you wish you did! That is how it works with my sons' nebulizer for asthma---if we don't bring it, it seems like we need it, if we do, we don't! Plus checking your BP daily can't hurt anything! Have a good trip!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby laura » Wed Feb 11, 2004 06:33 pm

Hi guys, I have to admit that this question makes me a little uneasy- valid and good as it is, and I'll tell you why.

We have to be clear that Catherine is not talking about "the" headache in the context of preeclampsia and gestational hypertension- in general, if you- or any pregnant woman, for that matter- gets a headache that is not relieved by Tylenol, that they must go immediately to the emergency room to be evaluated for the intercranial swelling that all too often accompanies hypertensive pregnancies. Really, the only good indicator that a 'cerebral event' is going to happen is central nervous system disturbances like severe headaches, visual disturbances, etc. that often precede it.

You may now resume your discussion, as originally planned[:o)]

Laura
Moderator/Alaska Chapter President

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby akemt » Wed Feb 11, 2004 06:41 pm

LOL Laura, thanks. Yes, it is definately not "THE HEADACHE."

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby julie f » Wed Feb 11, 2004 07:47 pm

Catherine,

The first time I had a migraine post-partum, I flew to my bp machine (it was about 3 months PP) convinced that I was getting ready to sieze or die. (Seriously [:I]) I was shocked to see that it was registering normal. Since then, everytime I've had a bad headache or migraine I've checked and it's been relatively normal. So, I wonder if it's the slight change in bp that's causing your headaches and not the other way around?

Have a great time in DC! We just got back from there and we've finally thawed out! We had lots of fun though, it was beautiful. Have a safe trip!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Chapter President
julie f

Postby 3preemiekidz » Wed Feb 11, 2004 08:21 pm

I brought this up with my Dr. today at my appointment. I've been having horrendous headaches and have noticed that when I have a headache, my BP is high. The rest of the time, my BP is relatively normal. The ones where tylenol works, my bp goes down as the headache goes away. Since I'm only 15 weeks my Dr. has me using my headaches now as a base. If at anytime I have a headache that feels worse than the ones I've been having or where my blood pressure is high, I'm to notify them. I know with my last pregnancy, towards the end, I had a headache that lasted for a month straight. It just wouldn't go away. That one was definately from my pressures being high. Surprisingly, my pressures were pretty good today despite having a headache. I'm hoping the further along I get, the less headaches I'll have. BTW, we are due about the same time.

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP
3preemiekidz

Postby tahoe 4 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 07:50 am

My answer to your question is both. High bp causes headaches and headaches cause your bp to rise. I was told by my dr that any time your body is in pain your bp will increase, which is part of the reason why your bp rises when you go into labor. I have had a few bad headaches during this pregnancy and I immediately take my bp when that happens and it is always higher than my norm (not dangerously high, but just higher than my baseline). Other than that my bp has never been high yet this pregnancy, only when I have a bad headache.
tahoe 4

Postby deerhart » Thu Feb 12, 2004 03:45 pm

headaches are caused by swelling

the swelling can be caused by higher BP but also several other things

So you could have a headache because of high BP but also other things.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Interm Chapter President - St. Louis/Missouri
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Return to Pregnant Again?