Post Reply FAQ Members Login

PE cause discovered?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

PE cause discovered?

Postby lisac » Sat Nov 08, 2003 03:26 pm

It's a dreary Sat. afternoon, I turned on CNN for a second and my eye caught hold of the ticker down below. I caught a glimpse of something to the effect of, "Scientists discover cause of pre-eclampsia." First I got teary, and then I rushed to my computer, pulled up CNN and found absolutely nothing. I know I shouldn't get too excited until I know what they're referring to. But if it's made it to cable news, then something of real significance must have been discovered. Could this pertain to an article that was posted here over the last week about a protein or molecule that women with pe have while pregnant? I can't wait to find what, if any, significance there is to this. If anybody has heard anything, please share!!
Thanks,
Lisa
lisac

Re : PE cause discovered?

Postby taras mom » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:42 pm

I couldn't find anything on preeclampsia either, but there is a new article about the genes behind Parkinson's; maybe you misread the ticker. I wish they'd use a bigger font!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby lisac » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:13 am

Hi Tara,
I'm positive I didn't misread the ticker because I waited and waited to see it again, and it came up a second time under health; yet when I go to the CNN web-site & look under the health section, there is nothing! The ticker read, "Scientists believe they have found the cause of preeclampsia." So frustrating!

Lisa
lisac

Postby lisac » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:04 am

Here's what I suspect may have happened: CNN may have just caught wind of info. that was released back in March regarding a protein that was discovered as a prime culprit in the disease process. (I believe that somebody posted an article about this protein over the last week.) Anyway, I found another article, and it really does seem promising that they've uncovered a major clue in this mystery. It says that some cancer patients are treated w/ a drug similar to this protein and begin to have symptoms similar to preeclampsia. Now they can test rats (poor rats) and give them preeclampsia-like symptoms. I think there is such hope that they are making headway. Sorry if this is old news to you. This article is probably even posted somewhere else on this site (the PE Foundation is mentioned): http://www.sciencenews.org/20030308/fob1.asp
Here is another very thorough, excellent article: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=151908
The 2nd article states, "These studies therefore shed unprecedented light on the pathogenesis of preeclampsia and offer novel therapeutic opportunities for this disease."
There is hope!!
lisac

Postby laura » Sun Nov 09, 2003 07:00 pm

I have noticed with CNN, if it's a slow news weekend, they do run old news to fill the ticker[}:)]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby akemt » Mon Nov 10, 2003 01:34 pm

I really hope there is something to all this...

Any idea how long will this process of testing, etc take before it filters down to OB's and routine treatment of Pre-e???

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby lisac » Mon Nov 10, 2003 04:25 pm

Hi Catherine,

I wish I knew how long it would be until they come up with something for us. At the very least, maybe they'll be able to develop a test to determine who has this protein in excess long before the symptoms kick in. In some groups, women showed higher than normal levels as early as 9wks pg.

I think it takes an extra long time to test drugs for pregnant women because nobody wants to risk the health of their baby to be in the test group.

There is much hope that the next generation will have more treatment options. Someday, hopefully not far from now, it will seem outlandish that the best treatment was delivery of the baby. I'm 34 so I don't count on anything during the remainder of my reproductive years, but who knows?

Lisa

lisac

Return to Ask the Experienced