Post Reply FAQ Members Login

BP's Fluctuating TOO high/TOO low!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

BP's Fluctuating TOO high/TOO low!

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:43 am

Question for you all...

Taking my BP meds the last week has made my BP drop dramatically for me. 120/59. Of course I felt Dizzy, tired, just crappy in general! I stopped taking my meds for 2 days. (With CONSTANT monitoring!) My BP's have been in the range of 135/78. (WITHOUT MEDS). TOday I woke with a horrible headache..took my BP it was 143/94. I took my meds right away. Has ANYONE had this happen? It seems like my BP's are going crazy here! When I take it, it drops to low for me. When I dont sometimes its great, and sometimes its high! I know that I cant keep doing my meds like this. I am going to call the Dr today! (Although, I am sure she will get mad at me for stopping in the first place!) I knew something was not right though....within 30 min of taking my meds I was dizzy, extremely tired, light headed the whole shabang! My OB did tell me at my last visit that in some women their BP will lower in the second trimester due to your increased blood flow. I am guessing this is whats happening?!?!?!

Any input would be helpful! In the beginning my labetalol was raised to 200mg because 100mg was doing nothing! Maybe go back to 100mg!?!?

Maybe I am taking this into my hands too much here....I am going to go call now!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Re : BP's Fluctuating TOO high/TOO low!

Postby ileana » Thu Nov 06, 2003 01:09 pm

You need to talk to your doctor... I had the same thing for 10 days and they just changed my BP medication and then I became a human being again.

There are 2 or 3 types of BP medicines and some people need one type, others another type. I read that it's common for people to need to try 2 or 3 PB medications before finding the right one.

It's also possible that your dose is too high, and needs to be lowered... Of course then you need a few days to adjust to the lower dose.

Good luck to you!

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby newmommymar04 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 01:31 pm

question...

If I get on BP medicine and my BP is stabilized can I still have issues with low amniotic fluid, low birth weight or placental abruption due to my HBP?
Or is that something I only need to worry about if my BP remains high?
newmommymar04

Postby sweetiesuzy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 01:45 pm

I believe, and I know that Laura, Anne or someone else may clarify for me, that some believe that the hypertensive meds can cause babes to be small. I am not sure which causes which! To me it is like which came first - the chicken or the egg.
My eldest son weighed 5 pounds 14 ounces at birth. I had moderate hbp at the end of my pregnancy. My youngest son weighed 5 pounds 14 ounces at birth - 8 years after my eldest was born. I had hbp from 31 weeks on and took meds, strict bed rest and all of the fun stuff involved with that. Sooooooo - I cannot from personal experience say what causes what.
I am speaking from my own personal experience. I am sure there is a more medical view.
I hope this makes sense.
Suzanna

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." - Thoreau

DS 3/25/95
DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

Postby akemt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 04:54 pm

Newmommy,

Sorry, I don't know your name!

I think that is a bit of a debate in the medical community too? I know that some doctors beleive antihypertensive meds "cover up" symptoms. I wasn't on meds so I don't know much about them.

Good for you for asking questions, btw!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 06, 2003 07:48 pm

Christy,
I have to agree with the OB's thinking that BP meds can cover up symptoms. But keep in mind that if your dr is taking an active approach to your pregnancy...then they should be doing the 24 hr urines and the Blood work as a routine work up...knowing that you are on meds. And if they are not.....then request the tests!!!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby taras mom » Fri Nov 07, 2003 03:20 am

Sherry: Yes, your bp should decrease in the 2nd trimester, and yes, it sounds as if you probably need an adjustment in your meds (different drug or different dosage). Read enough posts in this forum and you'll see that women have a wide range of reactions to the various meds, pregnant or not, so it could take a while to find what works for you. Be sure you're taking your meds at the same time each day, under the same conditions (e.g., with or without food). Please don't skip your meds without an ok from your doctor, and don't drive if you don't feel well.

NewMommy: Yes, unfortunately, you can still have all those problems even with your bp under control. In my case, it seems likely that the placenta was damaged early, before the high bp was apparent, but I was on bp meds with good control for about 2 months when PE hit.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby newmommymar04 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 07:43 am

Thanks for replying!

newmommymar04

Return to Ask the Experienced