Question about pulse...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Question about pulse...

Postby anjiev21 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 03:32 am

Hi everyone...wanted to give you guys an update...
My headaches/spots/trouble breathing has been getting worse and worse, and now it is even hard for me to sleep. I had my mom take my bp monitor to the store and check it against theirs (since her bp is more stable than mine) and it seems to be accurate. My pulse was still doing the same thing, at times it would be up about 120 just sitting here on the computer, not to mention when I actually get up and walk to the bathroom. Well, mom made me go to the ER this afternoon after my pulse has constantly been 100+ even while laying on left side. When I got there my reading was 148/99 with pulse of 135 sitting. They sent me up to L& D since I'm 28 weeks now. L&D immediately layed me on my left side & monitored baby, and hooked me up to bp machine. Of couse my 1st reading was 120/80 pulse 100, and only got lower from there.
After the doc told me my bp was "stellar" and better than his, I argued with him & 2 nurses about it being taken while I was laying on my left side. The nurse's explaination was that was the best way to take it, since in that position the baby wouldn't be laying on my main artery. So, I asked her if she was telling me that when I sit or stand, the baby was on it, and it made my bp go up...she said probably. Then they gave me Lortab. Said for my headache. After about an hour another nurse came in to check if it worked. Told me there was no way I had pre-e, only trace of protein in urine. Told me no way I had PIH cause my bp was great, now it was down to 90/56 pulse 82. Of course it was lower! The lortab had kicked in! I told her let me sit up and then take my bp so she could see how high it can get.[:(!] She ignored me and told me as long as I don't do any jogging I would be fine. Plus the baby was ok (thank goodness), so if I have any problems, its not related to pregnancy. See my doc next week. No bloodwork done. Seems the doc on call didn't see it neccessary. So, here I am up since 4am, heart still racing, pain in side , pressure in chest, been throwing up (probably because of lortab)and just feel like crap in general. I know something is wrong, but now I really don't know what to do. I don't know who to see or what else I can do at this point! Do I have to pull a John Q or something?[:p] Or just wait to see if I have seizures? Any more advice anyone? [?]
anjiev21

Postby taras mom » Tue Nov 25, 2003 03:51 am

It's great that your baby looked good on the monitor and that your mom is looking out for you, but I'm very concerned, especially about the headache and spots. Is there another OB you can see? Has anyone checked your urine? You shouldn't wait until next week, at any rate.

PS: I think the Foundation should have a John Q on retainer for just such an occasion.[;)]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby deerhart » Tue Nov 25, 2003 08:26 am

wow sounds like my second pregnancy LOL except that the majority of my pulse problems were in my first pregnancy

1st off I know EXACTLY how you feel with the pulse thing. I had the EXACT same thing. Episodes would last roughly 45-60 minutes and the hospital would never catch it (except once)... Thyroid come back normal (its a symptomn of that), I wasn't dehydrated (again its a symptomn of that) thus it was either asthma attacks (which I do have asthma and it is a symptomn of that) or PE (again another symtpomn)

In my second pregnancy I would get really high readings and rush to the hosptial feeling dizzy and having a headache, they would lay me down, take my BP and of course it dropped and since I didn't have protein they would start reciting the medical books (Hi, do I look like you medical book?!?)

But, they were wrong, though there wasn't anything they could really do about it and when I gianed 7-10 lbs in 8 days and had a BP reading at my docs office of 120/98 she decided we had fooled around with it long enough.

Of my symptomns all my doctor could say was that I exhibited symptomns abnormally and it looked like my body was more intune to my BP. Thus, instead of having problems at 140/90 I started having problems at 130/84.

As for advice, if you don't feel well just keep going. It doesn't matter if the doctors think your wrong, a hyperchondriac, nuts whatever, because when it comes right down to it if something DOES happen, its YOU that it happens too. Also, talk to your regular doctor and your insurance. You may be able to get someone to come out and monitor your BP to report to the doctor etc..

The thing about position, sitting up and standing the baby shouldn't be laying on your artery unless the baby is in a strange position, but laying down on your back then the baby will (also think about how could the baby by putting pressure on the artery unless the artery runs sidewise underneath the baby when your sitting up/standing)
Your BP DOES drop when lying down on your side, I am a good example of that. In labor with my second child they monitored my BP every 5 mins the entire time. It stayed at 125/70 at all times EXCEPT when I either sat up, stood up, or rolled over to my back. Every single time it shot to 140/90.

In addition, if standing up/sitting caused the baby to place pressure on the artery, then all pregnant woman would have their BP's skyrocket when standing and they don't.

Hope it helps, your not the first person who's gone through something like this. There are those of us out there that exhibit symptomns differently and when doctors see us, they tend to ignore it becuase its atypical and think its something else even though its not.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby akemt » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:39 am

Anjie,

What a pain! How scary it must feel to have you concerns and fears and symptoms ignored! Argh...makes me mad.[:(!] I was sent home more than once for lower BP reading after laying on my left side. Though, my OB beleived me and knew that it really was happening. AND, I had atleast a 20-40 pt difference in my bp's from sitting/standing to laying down. Perhaps print off the "ask the experts" section on how to take a BP and bring it with you.

I think it would be great if we had a place where we could send doctors (online) to get this kind of info...to inform them AS WELL AS us.

Keep up the good work! I know it is a pain.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced