Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Bp and Pregnacy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Bp and Pregnacy

Postby ckithaka » Sat Nov 22, 2003 01:00 am

Hi friends
I am a Kenyan lady(Africa) aged 27.
I was on pills for two years. I conceived late last year but unfortunately in may this year i developed blood pressure and two weeks later i lost my baby.The doctor described this as a result of Preeclampsia.
I have been on medication since then since the Bp did get back to normal.
We want to give it a trial again and my doc adviced me to continue on Nilol which has been working quite well.
My question is:

Will this medication affect my Baby.
What should i do to help me go through the pregnancy and get a helthy baby.

Thanks look forward to hearing from u.

Katherine (Kenya)

LETS HELP ONE ANOTHER IN THIS LIFE
ckithaka

Re : Bp and Pregnacy

Postby akemt » Sun Nov 23, 2003 00:38 am

Katherine? or Catherine? sorry, I thought it was with a C in a different post. My advice is to ask this question in the "ask the experts" section of the forums. It may take a while to get a response, but they will be the ones most likely to answer your question about the nilol.

Other than that, the best things you can do now for a healthy pregnancy are eating a healthy diet, making sure you are at a healthy weight when you get pregnant, and watching closely when the time comes for the symptoms of preeclampsia.

I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck trying again!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby laura » Sun Nov 23, 2003 09:30 am

Hi Katherine- welcome and I'm so glad you found us. some of my favorite people here are Katherines (or Catherine!)!

I did look up your med Nilol and apparently, it's "Nifedipine SR 20mg + Atenolol 50mg"

I think Nifedipine is one of the preferred antihypertensive drugs used during pregnancy, and my perinatologist (AND I) believe that atenolol can actually help prevent preeclampsia. I took it when I was pregnant. I think if you're on meds that are working, stick with it.

There are a couple of concerns about antihypertensives and babies, largely that the meds can cause the babies to be a bit smaller, and (usually if you're on a high dose) can case bradycardia- slower heart rate- in the baby. Luckily, these are things you can monitor while you're pregnant, and your doc can adjust the dosage if you start to see problems.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby ckithaka » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:02 pm

quote:

Hi Katherine- welcome and I'm so glad you found us. some of my favorite people here are Katherines (or Catherine!)!

I did look up your med Nilol and apparently, it's "Nifedipine SR 20mg + Atenolol 50mg"

I think Nifedipine is one of the preferred antihypertensive drugs used during pregnancy, and my perinatologist (AND I) believe that atenolol can actually help prevent preeclampsia. I took it when I was pregnant. I think if you're on meds that are working, stick with it.

There are a couple of concerns about antihypertensives and babies, largely that the meds can cause the babies to be a bit smaller, and (usually if you're on a high dose) can case bradycardia- slower heart rate- in the baby. Luckily, these are things you can monitor while you're pregnant, and your doc can adjust the dosage if you start to see problems.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30

Thanks a million times Laura hope i got your name right.

Ya the tabs are a combination of "Nifedipine SR 20mg + Atenolol 50mg"

I am only taking half a tab daily which is not a high dose.

I actually think i am pregnant i expected my periods four days ago but i will wait for a week then i can go for a test.

Laura i wish to have a more regular communication with you, I believe i will be able to learn more from you. so if you dont mind you could give me your email address.

My email address is cgatura@diamsys.co.ke
Have a great time.

Catherine/Katherine any can do.

LETS HELP ONE ANOTHER IN THIS LIFE
ckithaka

Postby laura » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:24 pm

Hey Katherine, I'd love if you'd email me. It's great that your hypertension is able to be controlled with such small amounts of medicine! That's really a good sign.

I'm at:
laura@preeclampsia.org

take care, and hope to hear from you soon!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
laura

Return to Ask the Experienced