Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hurricane Katrina

Re : Hurricane Katrina

Postby mamc2003 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 04:20 pm

Well, I have tried to get on here and type three or four times and each time I do, the power blinks. So, I'll try once more. Since the storm moved more eastward, we were not in the path as predicted, so it's just a lot of wind gusts. My trees seem to be holding up. The pictures they are sending in from the MS, LA, and AL Coast are frightening. I called a friend of mine in Hattiesburg and she said her neighbors roof had blown away. That was about 5 hours ago, and Katrina is just now hitting Hattiesburg. My grandfather and all my mom's family lives there, so we are still a little worried.

Cara and Alex, I hope both of your DH's are able to stay safe during all of this. Cara, has your family heard anything about their neighborhood yet? Tanya, I hope you hear from your BIL soon.

Good luck to anyone else who is out there.
mamc2003

Postby cara » Mon Aug 29, 2005 07:55 pm

My grandmother's house was one of the ones with water up to the roof. We don't know about my parents' house yet and can't go back for a few days yet. Yikes this is nuts!!
cara

Postby mamc2003 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 08:52 pm

Cara,

I don't know if you're still on here or not, but wanted to tell you that Channel 2, ABC, is showing helicopter footage of the entire New Orleans area. The picture of the Hyatt was terrible. On one side, just a few of the windows were knocked out, then it panned to the backside and every window was gone.

I'm sorry about your grandmother's house and hope that your parents are able to find out something soon. I heard on the news that they don't want people driving back to NO for at least 5 days. I would hate to know I had to wait that long before seeing what made it and what didn't. Y'all take care as you go back to BR.
mamc2003

Postby kdreher » Mon Aug 29, 2005 08:52 pm

ah Cara that just stinks, so sorry to read this..I do hope that you are all safe...easy for me to say not being there, but material things can be replaced but not the ones we love.
kdreher

Postby cara » Mon Aug 29, 2005 09:23 pm

I saw the footage from a helicopter over the NO area and it looks like my parents' house is underwater. My High School is under water also....Many places are on fire from gas lines breaking....the city itself looked bad but not as bad as the metropolitan areas, where people actually live.

I spoke with Mike and he was VERY busy coordinating rescue efforts between people calling in and the Coast Guard. He couldn't talk and said he call later. He said he'd never been that busy in his life.

cara

Postby youtan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 09:29 am

Still no word from my BIL. I'm sure its because all the phones aren't working. Its difficult for my dh to sit and wait.

Cara, I'm so sorry to hear about your families homes. Its so hard to get any news up this way (and we don't have cable). But, from what I've seen - its unbelievable. Keeping you all in my prayers!
youtan

Postby cassie05 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:36 am

Tanya I hope you BIL is ok, let us know as soon as you hear anything please.

I hope you are all doing ok and I hope all your houses are still there. Still sending prayers
cassie05

Postby alexp » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:47 am

Tanya, I hope your BIL is okay...Cara, so sorry about your families homes.

THe footage I've seen looks horrible. It's just so sad.
alexp

Postby lorelei » Tue Aug 30, 2005 02:38 pm

Keeping you all in prayers. It said on the news that this would go down to be one of the most costly, if not the most costly, storm in history. The footage is inbelieveable. There was a lady on the today show this morning and her home is gone...I just can't imagine that. I mean, what do you do when you are packing up to leave? How do you decide what you have to leave behind. So sad and scary!
lorelei

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:26 pm

Ladies,

You're all in my prayers. TANYA, I'm especially sending prayers for BIL.

I can't believe how busy our hotels are. I tried to go to Wal-Mart today and the traffic was awful!! I've never seen Hope like this!!

Sending love to you ladies!
rachel a

PreviousNext

Return to Louisiana