Volunteers

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Volunteers

Postby annegarrett » Sun Feb 09, 2003 04:14 pm

This is an all out call for volunteers! So you know--we are running this organization on a shoestring budget and have a massive mission in front of us. Over 6 Million women every year get preeclampsia in the world with it being a leading cause of women and their babies dying during pregnancy. Our budget last year was under $100K...

We really need people who can take on pieces of the work so we can keep this going and really make a difference.

It is great to see some fundraisers getting started, lots of chapters, and this great message board. If you write me--don't feel I am putting you off--I have over 3300 emails in my in box--and I am sure that some things are falling through the cracks.

What we need includes:
Graphic Design help for brochures (using our current style as a starting place)
Copywriters for brochures (using our current style and using some of the website language as a starting place)
Printing services
Conversion of files to PDF for the website (for brochures, a newsletter)
A newsletter editor
People who can speak to the press in their home town about their experience (must be willing to represent the foundation and remember to speak as a patient--not as an authority on the disease but as an authority about your experience!)
People who know people! (We really need those!)
Do you know someone famous who had this? Jada Pinkett Smith, Jane Seymour, Deborah Norville, Laura Bush, Wendy Wasserstein, the Mayor of Baltimore's wife, the wife of the owner of the Washington Redskins?, other famous people--or famous in your area...
Do you know someone who is a reporter with PEOPLE, Oprah, a major newspaper, a popular women's magazine, a good tv show?
Women and Men to spread the word--make noise--nag the local press.

We need a buzz. The number one reason women in the US die from this disease is misdiagnosis. We can prevent those deaths now but stepping up our efforts and working together.

If you have a local chapter starting--jump in. We can't do it all--but together we can do a whole lot more than was done for us.

Thanks so much. This is your organization. Make it make a difference!

Anne
annegarrett

Re : Volunteers

Postby angelical » Wed Jan 07, 2004 09:29 am

My mom told me she read a magazine article (Good Housekeeping, maybe) in which Laura Bush talked about having preeclampsia. I just did a search of the forum to see if you already knew that. Apparently so!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get her to help the Foundation?

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Postby akemt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:45 am

So maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but do we have brochures? I'd love to bring some to the OB office I'm visiting. One suggestion that you might have already thought of is having them set up so we can print them off on our own printers at home...saves the PF some money/time and makes it more accessible for us. Perhaps that is what you meant by the PDF stuff? lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby laura » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:06 am

Ahem- *cough* The brochures are one of the things we need to help raisse funds for at a chapter level (and since you and I are Alaska-haha) we'd better start knocking door to door. Just kidding.

Anne if you're still planning on heading up this way in April, I thought that would be a good way to generate interest to build the AK chapter. How could the ADN resist a nice big story about it's Anchorage's own Anne?

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby annegarrett » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:18 am

The concert that is being dedicated to my mom is March 11th--so I am going to look into coming up for that. We have contacts at the ADN and since the concert is in my mom's memory--maybe we could get some tag-team story out of this...daughter carrying on her mom's legacy? :) yeah, such a diva.

I just love Anchorage during Break Up! (not)

Why couldn't they do the dedication in JUNE!!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby mada » Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:37 pm

Hey MAybe we could get places like office depot to donate office supplys/ Computer paper, ink for printer ect. What do you think?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby aimeejane » Sat Jan 10, 2004 06:36 pm

Anne, did the Redskins' coach's wife really have PE, or was that a general example? (Was it the owner's wife, maybe?) I have a friend whose husband used to work for the one of those folks. (Try to wrap your brain around that one.)

I also have a friend who is a freelance writer for a local county paper here in metro Atlanta. I don't know how much pull she has over her assignments, but I can ask!

And, finally, I am more than willing to talk to the press about my personal experience!

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby jsilvas » Sat Jan 10, 2004 07:46 pm

Anne,

My husband works with PDF files all the time. He is willing to offer any help he can. He can make them interactive (fill out forms online) or just plain readable ones. We are both also web developers if you need any help in that area, but Angela is doing a great job as it is. I'm more of a programmer, but my husband might also be able to help in the graphics area although it's not his specialty. But I personally think he's pretty good. [:)] Let us know what we can do to help.

Jeanette - 30
Louis - 32
Ethan - 6/8/98 (36 weeks 4 days - PIH)
Ella - 10/3/03 (36 weeks 6 days - PIH)
jsilvas

Postby annegarrett » Sun Jan 11, 2004 04:05 pm

Thanks ladies! We would love the PDF help--we are going to put all our brochures for chapters in PDF and then get a code for chapter presidents to put in so they can get access to printing them out (along with "printing guidelines" so we can keep the quality consistent). That would be great.

My understanding is that Dan Snyder's wife (Tanya) the owner of the Washington Redskins, had preeclampsia. I have not been able to confirm this though.

Any contacts you have there are much appreciated.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby aimeejane » Mon Jan 12, 2004 05:46 pm

Anne, I'm emailing you about that...

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Next

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange