Possible Cause of Preeclampsia Isolated

Possible Cause of Preeclampsia Isolated

Postby annegarrett » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:40 am

In a prepared statement, Duane Alexander, MD, director of the NIH's National Institute of Child Health and Human Development calls Karumanchi's findings "the most promising lead yet in the pursuit of a life-threatening disorder that has defied all attempts to prevent or cure it." Alexander was not involved in the study, but researchers at his agency were.

We have had to sit on this news for a few days now...which as you can imagine is very tough for us!! The attached link is one of the best of the articles out there about the news and we will follow-up shortly with an interview with Dr. Karumanchi who is a professional member of the Preeclampsia Foundation and who passionately supports our work.

The reality is that this study may have identified proteins which are present in women with preeclampsia but not those without. That would mean that a blood test might be able to predict who will and won't get preeclampsia. I think though, the bigger challenge we face (when the time comes) is figuring out who gets this blood test and who pays for it. Right now we all know of stories of women having to insist on a proteinuria test being taken...so not to downplay this work at all...because we are all very excited about what it might mean and more than anything about the energy that it will mean is now focused on preeclampsia...but the reality is that for the meantime, we still have to be our own best advocates, we still have to be vigilant, and we still have to watch out for the women around us who are pregnant and have never heard of the disease.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/diseases/articles/2004/02/06/doctors_cite_progress_on_illness_tied_to_pregnancy/

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Re : Possible Cause of Preeclampsia Isolated

Postby mada » Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:03 pm

Wow!! Can you imagine? Can you just imagine if this turns out to be a cure? Very intresting..it maked me want to go study more sciences!!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby lisac » Fri Feb 06, 2004 05:13 pm

I'm so blown away. I know it isn't the end-all-be-all, but they are finally on to something!

lisac

Postby kim » Fri Feb 06, 2004 06:31 pm

As tears roll down my face, I thank God for giving me hope to have another child. Absolutely amazing, even if it prevents one woman from having pre-e!

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby lisac » Fri Feb 06, 2004 07:20 pm

So our body secrets a protein that inhibits that blood vessel growth in the placenta much like a cancer drug inhibits tumor growth?

I probably oversimplify, but could that mean we have decreased risk of cancer? Are we extra sensitive to tumor-like activity? Not that I like to think of a placenta of having anything to do w/a tumor, but isn't the implantation & growth process of the placenta very similar to tumor growth?

We deserve something here...at least to counter the increased risk of heart disease!!
lisac

Postby angelical » Fri Feb 06, 2004 09:43 pm

This is so incredible! To think that even if this all comes too late to help us, our children may not have to suffer this horrible disease!
[we need a 'tears of joy' emoticon]

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Interim President, Pittsburgh area Chapter
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting

Wife of Kevin
Mother to Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
angelical

Postby taras mom » Sat Feb 07, 2004 00:52 am

Lisa, I've read that women who've had preeclampsia have a lower risk of breast cancer, but I've never seen any information (or even speculation) to explain why. It could be just a statistical thing. Anyway, you're right that some cancer drugs fight tumors by blocking the growth of blood vessels that serve the tumors. So I guess what we need is "anti-chemo" especially for the placenta![:)]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby shelbys mom » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:44 am

This is awesome, I actually might be able to have another child!!!!!!, and maybe then my Shelby won't have to worry about this also.

Kim, mom to Shelby 32 weeker due to pree-e, and hellp, now a crazy 2 year old!!!
shelbys mom

Return to News from PF Headquarters