Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Help...suggestions needed!!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Help...suggestions needed!!

Postby bmleziva » Mon Apr 26, 2004 02:22 pm

by bmleziva (23 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 02:22 pm

A friend of mine just had to have an emergency c-section at 26 weeks. Her little guy is 1 lb 14oz. My question is...How do I help? I live in a different state and would love to do anything at all that would make it easier for them (mom, dad, sister 8 yrs).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bobbie Jo
bmleziva

Re : Help...suggestions needed!!

Postby meg » Mon Apr 26, 2004 03:47 pm

by meg (1384 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 03:47 pm

It will be hard since you are so far away. But I am sure knowing that you care and are praying for them will help alot! Sending them things like phone cards ( they probably have alot of long distance relatives who want to be updated) also maybe gift certificates to resturants becuse they are going to need to eat and not feel like cooking very much! Maybe offer to head up a phone chain or email chain to keep people informed of the babies progress b/c I know its hard on the parents to call all friends and family members everyday.
The 8 year old might like some kind of special gift of something to keep her from feeling lost in the shuffle of attention the baby is getting.
Good luck to them! My sisters baby is 7 weeks old now but was born at 27 weeks weighing 1 lb 8 ounces. He has done just wonderfully and we are hoping he may come home before Memorial Day!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now 2 lb 9 ounces and already out of NICU ( but still in hospital)
meg

Postby iansmom » Mon Apr 26, 2004 07:12 pm

by iansmom (254 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 07:12 pm

One thing that often gets overlooked is Dad's need for someone to talk to. Call him just to talk every now and then. Also, one of the best things that I got was a date book with lots of room to write down weight, feedings, etc every day. it is a neat thing to look at now.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 07:41 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 07:41 pm

You guys are brilliant!
I would never have thought of that!
I rememeber when my dad was so sick and dying, those pre-paid cards were the best- (esp when they couldn't use cells in the hosp.)

**The support for the Dads is IMPERITIVE! My hub. needed that so much.

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby angelical » Mon Apr 26, 2004 07:47 pm

by angelical (330 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 07:47 pm

Look in this section (Preemie parents) for a thread called "hints for new parents".... maybe there will be some ideas for you there.

Camera film is always helpful (for nondigitals), a journal would be nice, books or crossword puzzle books for the long NICU hours, a book on preemie parenting (you can never know enough!). Also a gift card for walmart or places like that would be helpful too... expenses add up when you are just living from day-to-day.

Do they live near the hospital? If not, are they in a Ronald McDonald House? You could research info on a local one for them, or help them find reasonably priced accomodations.

You could also organize a mini-shower for them. Even though they probably got the crib and newborn-sized diapers & clothes, bottles, etc... she didn't get a breast pump, preemie clothes, antibacterial soap, etc.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby catherine » Mon Apr 26, 2004 09:06 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Mon Apr 26, 2004 09:06 pm

Jeez Sharel, that' just a brilliant idea... what else would you put on the list for super tiny preemies... or would you be thinking in terms of for when they first get home... in the 4- 5 lb range?

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby angelical » Tue Apr 27, 2004 04:58 am

by angelical (330 Posts), Tue Apr 27, 2004 04:58 am

In my experience the super-tiny preemies -- still in the hospital -- really don't need anything. We were only allowed to bring in a couple of toys (to make the isolette look more homey) and some stuff for me to do (books, puzzles, etc). So really stuff to buy during the NICU stay I think should focus on the needs of the parents: books, phone cards, gift certificates, etc.

But when it is time to bring the baby home (4-5 pound range), that was a strange experience.... we had a crib he couldn't use yet, diapers that we could have used as blankets, clothes that looked like they were for a giant! Instead, we needed some little clothes & diapers, a breast pump (expensive!), etc.

Since this family has an 8 yr old, I also wonder (not having experienced this) what she would need: videos and games, a fun day out with mommy's out-of-town friend, etc maybe.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby annes » Tue Apr 27, 2004 06:08 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Tue Apr 27, 2004 06:08 am

One thing that my mom and sister found for me were little preemie hats made by gerber, they fit better than some of the others and looked and felt better than the hospital one. I know that it sounds superficial, but I just wanted my baby to look better. I didn't have the time to hunt things down myself. My friend also gave me a gift certificate for a manicure/pedicure, which I felt so guilty about using, until I started to relax, and realized that I needed that hour to myself. I read a lot of fluff books (mysteries etc...) nothing sad, because I was emotional enough as it was. Good luck to your friend and her family.[:I]

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Apr 27, 2004 06:12 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Tue Apr 27, 2004 06:12 am

Hi! I also had a 26 weeker born by emergency c-section. I got some neat gifts. The first gift was someone paid for a week at the Ronald McDonald House for us (it cost $12 a night, but with both my hubby and me out of work after the birth it was hard to pay our other bills, so that was a real treat for us!) Also, my mother gave me a journal to write down the entire experience. But the neatest thing was some co-workers of mine ordered micro-preemie clothes off the internet made for babies that weighed between 1 and 3 pounds. Regular preemie clothes would have never fit, so when she finally was able to wear clothes, she had something to wear! Good luck - you sound like a great friend.

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby bmleziva » Tue Apr 27, 2004 06:21 am

by bmleziva (23 Posts), Tue Apr 27, 2004 06:21 am

Thanks so much for all the ideas and well wishes! I plan to use several of them. I ordered a little micro premie outfit for the NICU yesterday off of the web. I did not know if Carter will be able to wear it but if not I thought it would be a great keepsake of how little he was.

Thanks again!! It is so great to have a resource like this to go to when times get tough.

Bobbie Jo
Brayden 1/10/02
#2 boy EDD 8/23/04
bmleziva

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies