Post Reply FAQ Members Login

weaning off bottle/exclusive pumping? -update 8/12

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

weaning off bottle/exclusive pumping? -update 8/12

Postby rosalinda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 08:13 pm

UPDATE

Thanks for all the advice ladies...I've rented a hospital pump while I buy one. I've been exclusively pumping for one week now and have begun to take fenugreek, nursing tea & blessed thistle. REALLY trying to up my supply. I have a nipple shield that I'll begin to try, and I've also been thinking about getting evaluated by a lactation consultant to help with latch. I hope SOMETHING works.

----

I'm trying to wean my baby off the bottle (he is 8wks old), I usually breastfeed now 10min each side and then give him 2oz of formula in a bottle, but breastfeeding has become quite a challenge.

He doesn't seem to want the breast anymore...I'm considering exclusively pumping, has anyone else done this and if so how did it go and how long were you able to keep your supply?

I'd love to increase my supply and I'm considering fenugreek, but if he won't nurse then I'd have to pump in order to get him the breastmilk.

I've tried to just give him the breast and no bottle, but he cries & cries until I just give in...what do I do?? I'd love for him to have the breastmilk until at least 6 months but other than pumping I'm running out of ideas.

ps. I have considered using the medela supplementing system so he learns that eating happens out of the breast, has anyone used one?
rosalinda

Re : weaning off bottle/exclusive pumping? -update 8/12

Postby panguitch02 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 08:47 pm

Hi Rosalinda,

I almost exclusively pumped for 18months, and I could have gone longer, but wanted my TaTas back to myself. Jameson was in the NICU for 5 weeks, then was released on a diuretic, so they limited his feeds to 40cc and only allowed me to breastfeed once a day until he was off the diuretic. I kept my milk supply up by pumping every 3 hours. Pumping and bottle feeding is just so quick that it became my preference, so Jameson was only offered the breast 1-2 times per day. He did ok with the breast, but really didn't embrace breastfeeding until 4months or so. For night feedings, DH fed and burped Jameson in 20 min, while I pumped for 20min...20 min back to sleep is really nice....this was a lifesaver during the beginning.
panguitch02

Postby bernadic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 09:42 pm

I pumped for 18 months. By month 15, my body was shutting down. I used the Medela Classic Breast pump which I purchased off of ebay to pump with every 2-3 hours. Then when I went back to work, I used the Medela Advanced during work hours and my classic when I was home. It was sort of nice to sit and pump and read a book while Luke was in the swing or activity seat. Good luck and don't give up pumping.
bernadic

Postby amandaoasis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:30 pm

I pumped for Bennett for 8 months. To keep my supply up I would have had to pump 30 minutes every three house. I did this until he got older (read: more mobile) and I started to wean. He got only breast milk for 5 months and then I started to cut the pumpings for the next three months. It worked out well for us.
amandaoasis

Postby m » Wed Aug 04, 2010 00:14 am

Have you tried using a nipple shield? Some pharmacies carry them and you can also get them at Target. We gradually switched from pumping & bottle feeding to exclusive breastfeeding, but it only happened because we used a nipple shield. It was such a relief to be done with pumping and cleaning all the parts and bottles.
m

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 00:57 am

Hi! I have used the SNS and did not have any luck. I was trying to relactate though, and my son wanted the breast and refused the bottle...but I had no milk sooo it did not work for us, but it would be worth a try...our bigest problem was his gag reflux. It seemed like I couldn't get the tubing in his mouth far enough for milk to come out without it gaging him. I gave up early, like I said, because I didn't have milk at the time and he was refusing the bottle. I hate it...but formula worked well when I finally gave in and quit trying. He did recieve breast milk only for the first 2 months while in the nicu, and that WAS solely from pumping alone! Good luck and hope this helps! :)
muddmomma2

Postby audrey s. » Sat Aug 07, 2010 01:44 pm

Fenugreek helped a LOT. I pumped while DD was in the unit (two months) and also after returning to work; she got exclusive "boob food" until she was about five months, then it was combinedw/formula and she continued to nurse until she was about 18 months.

That being said, she never had any problem nursing, so I can't speak to that. Our problem was more of my supply, never great to begin with given the pre-e and HELLP syndrome, and that my daughter couldn't eat for the first four weeks or so.

When DD was about 8 months, she was just too "busy" and nosy to want to BF (there was always something more "interesting" catching her attention, she was ADD even then). My milk started to dry up completely. However, I started with the fenugreek and went on to BF for 10 more months! Good luck with this, I know it's frustrating.
audrey s.

Postby stacey0411 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:44 pm

I pumped 13 mths for Ella using the Pump In Style-Medela. To keep a good supply I pumped every 3 hours day and night...night and day :) It became very routine. Oh, and I did eat oatmeal for breakfast (that is supposed to help). I was able to keep the supply up well for the whole time and didn't have to supplement.
stacey0411

Postby km1317 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 pm

I pumped for 7 months excusively every three hours for 15 minutes.If you are going to do this i would get a double pump if you do not already have one! I also tried the herbs, they did not seem to work that good for me so the doc gave me a percription for reglan (which is for reflux i think, but one of the side effects is increasing your milk supply) GOOD LUCK!
km1317

Postby patty » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 am

I second the previous posters suggestion of a nipple shield. Though I don't like them personally I think in your situation where he prefers the bottle it would probably be your best bet to get him fully on the breast and you can try to wean off those later if you want.
patty

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....