NEC??

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

NEC??

Postby ch3lsea » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am

My daughter had a perforation in her intestine a few days ago...no one said anything about NEC...I've been looking perforated intestine up online and in everything I read it is a symptom of NEC. Would the doctors have told me she had this?? No one has said anything about it. She had to have a drain put in to empty her abdomen and they said she will be on antibiotics for 7-10 days and that they believe the hole will heal itself and then they will start feedings again. I'm so confused, from what I've been reading online today it sounds like NEC to me, but no one has even mentioned that to me. Any parents who have had preemie's who have had NEC, were you told right away that's what your son/daughter had??
ch3lsea

Re : NEC??

Postby julieb » Wed Sep 08, 2010 03:55 pm

I am sorry you are going through this. Our son did not end up having NEC but at one point there was something wrong, his abdomen became much larger and he was in distress and they didn't know why. They immediately thought it was NEC and told us that it may be. After all the testing, they found out he had a blood infection from an IV site that caused his digestive system to shut down and once he had antibiotics for a few days he was much better. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would think if they thought it was NEC, they would have told you. Make sure you ask your doctors and nurses though, never be afraid to ask questions about everything they are doing for your daughter. Remember that you are her mom and you have a right to know what they are doing and why. If you don't understand something, ask questions until you do. The NICU can be scary and confusing but having a good understanding about what is going on can help to make you feel better. I hope your daughter heals quickly!
julieb

Postby kara » Wed Sep 08, 2010 04:06 pm

I'm not a doctor, but I think you can have a perforation without having NEC. NEC is the death of intestina tissue. NEC is serious and I think they would have told you if it was NEC. I would just put in a call to the NICU and ask the nurses or doctor if there is any concern about NEC. We found that if you ask very specific questions, you will get more information and better answers.

How old is she and what is her current weight?
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby ch3lsea » Wed Sep 08, 2010 05:27 pm

She was born 26 weeks and will be 2 weeks tomorrow...only 1lb 8oz (weight as of today...birth weight was 1lb 4oz)
I will be going back up to the hospital later today and will ask. I would hope that they would have told me, I asked what was going on with her and no one I spoke to mentioned NEC, I just learned about it today after looking up intestine perforation. If you have a minute, please pray for Kayleigh.
ch3lsea

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 07:59 pm

I agree. I would ask about NEC- but that is a very serious issue and I can't imagine they would not talk with you about it if they suspected it. I would make sure you ask- By the way I love her name Kayleigh- and I am sure she is in everyone's on the forum's prayers. I am not an overly religious person but my grandmother is and lights candles at the church every week- I asked her to light one for your daughter- figured it can't hurt to have too many people praying for her.
jenmatt1

Postby patty » Thu Sep 09, 2010 09:36 am

I would think they would tell you immediately if it were NEC. They did me with Randall. Usually NEC occurs once they are up to full feeds and your little one had just began feedings right? I think Kara is right that you can have a perforation without NEC but I would ask the doctors and nurses to be sure and set your mind at ease. Are they doing tons of x-rays? They did loads of x-rays when Randall had it to make sure it was not getting worse though they might need to do that with a perforation too. Randall had to have bowel rest and antibiotics for 10 days but thankfully his healed without surgery. Best of luck to you I know how hard all this is (((hugs)). I will be praying for you and Kayleigh.
patty

Postby ch3lsea » Sun Sep 12, 2010 05:38 pm

Forgot to update...well apparently is is NEC...I'm really upset they didn't tell me this right away. =/ Anyway, she might be getting surgery, but they aren't sure yet. Said they xrays are not getting worse, but there has also been little change. She has not been acting sick the past few days...they actually moved her back to the cpap a couple days ago. So, not I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen =/

Anyone who has experienced something similar...how do the doctors know if the intestine has healed and also how can they tell if the intestine has any dead areas?? Are they able to see it on the xrays?
ch3lsea

Postby patty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 09:18 am

Yes they look for free air on the xrays. No free air is good. If she is not sick enough to be back on the vent that is a good sign too at least that is what they told me. I am surprised they did not tell you immediately. They sat me down and told me right away with Randall but the hospital he was in he would been transferred if he had needed surgery so they wanted to prepare me if they needed to transfer right away. Will pray she gets better quickly!
patty

Postby audrey s. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 03:43 am

Rebecca needed surgery as she had free air immediately. HOWEVER: she was 37 weeks and a good size, about 2.8 kg. Her NEC also was probably due to feedings. It's thought that feedings colonize the intestine with its first "foreign" bacteria and some babies have more of a reaction to it than others. My daughter, as it turned out, was highly allergic to milk protein and I was too sick for her to receive breast milk right away. She also had critically low oxygen levels at birth, which impaired the blood flow to her intestine.

NEC is scary, no question. Is your baby in a place where she could have immediate surgery if it is needed? Obviously, I hope it's just a matter of antibiotics and time. It's a good sign that she is still only on CPAP and there is no free air. I will keep Kayleigh in my thoughts.

Rebecca had a colectomy when she was two days old, and was in the NICU for a total of 8 long weeks (as well as contracting meningitis). She is a healthy normal teenager now, though, and I will hope for the same outcome, preferably MINUS the major surgery, for your little one!
audrey s.

Postby audrey s. » Wed Sep 22, 2010 04:13 pm

Bumping up, how is Kayleigh? Hope you're past that risk safely!
audrey s.

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies