What the heck is wrong with having a big head ?

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
catherine
Forum Moderator

Re : What the heck is wrong with having a big head ?

Postby catherine » Tue Oct 14, 2003 09:15 pm

Thanks for that Kim, jeez it sure doesn't take much to undermine a mommie's confidence!! Actually, it may be that her head is actually getting bigger, when she was younger, everything was in proportiona and tracked somewhere between 25th and 50th percentile. DH thinks she's just so darned smart her head had to get bigger to hold her brains. Can anyone spell besotted?!! LMAO, especially as she has now hit the 'terrible twos' with a vengance. Can I paint a picture?... who remembers Flashdance? The scene where she's dancing from foot to foot with one hand out.. Maniac.. Maniac etc. playing in the background. Now transpose that onto a 38 inch, 28 lb snot-faced munchkin with the worst sticking out, scrawny pigtails you've ever seen. This is MY CHILD.....DIVA BABY!!!!!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (almost 2)
Chloe (7/2/03)

kim

Re : What the heck is wrong with having a big head ?

Postby kim » Tue Oct 14, 2003 08:52 pm

Catherine,

Ainsley has a big head, too!! Her height is 50%, weight 75% and head 90%!!! Our pediatrician has never seemed concerned. My dh has a big head and so does his mom (literally and figuratively) [}:)].. Anyway, I'm sure it's nothing.

I had a geneticist once tell me that Ainsley's head was too big, and proceeded to tell me that I had a big head, too. What a b&*(*.

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz

catherine
Forum Moderator

What the heck is wrong with having a big head ?

Postby catherine » Tue Oct 14, 2003 06:40 pm

Hi ladies, here's the thing. I took Lucy for her 2-year-old checkup today. Yes, meanie mommie, shots as a birthday gift.. only one a flu shot. [As an aside here and in my capacity as a microbiologist... everyone should be getting one, your whole family (excluding pets!). Grandparents (if they are getting on in years should be getting the pneumococcal vaccine too)]. Anyway, it would appear that her head is 75%, whilst the rest of her husky little 28 lb body is 50%. The pediatrician wants her to come back to be measured again in a few months to see if it stays disproportionate. She said she didn't like to see her crossing percentiles. So, what's wrong with a big head?? She said she was just fine otherwise, fine motor skills are great.

This is typically where the guilt bites. Considering her rough start, she has cruised ever since but in the back of my mind I'm always waiting for evidence of something......

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (almost 2)
Chloe (7/2/03)

Return to “After your baby is born .....”