Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Bath time question-Preemie sensory issues

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Bath time question-Preemie sensory issues

Postby caitlynsmama » Tue Apr 13, 2004 07:43 am

by caitlynsmama (436 Posts), Tue Apr 13, 2004 07:43 am

Does anyone have any advice on how to make bath time for Caitlyn easier? She gets so upset and stiffens up and cries the whole time that I have tried to just sponge bath her as often as I can but the bigger she gets the harder that gets to really get her as clean as I would like to. Is this a preemie thing or just a baby thing? A lot of babies I have babysat for, or known love baths?

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Re : Bath time question-Preemie sensory issues

Postby brycesmom » Tue Apr 13, 2004 08:53 am

by brycesmom (12 Posts), Tue Apr 13, 2004 08:53 am

Play music to calm them....

Remember that things happen for a reason...
brycesmom

Postby mada » Tue Apr 13, 2004 02:22 pm

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue Apr 13, 2004 02:22 pm

I know some people don't like to do this but...have you tried to take a bath with her? My youngest hated the tub at first and that's what I did and he was fine....

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby sandy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 03:28 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Tue Apr 13, 2004 03:28 pm

Is Caitlyn sitting up on her own yet? My DD hated the sponge baths, too. She'd cry and fuss...but not to the extent it sounds like Caitlyn is. But still, it was not an enjoyable experience for any of us!

As soon as my DD sat up on her own (mid-February), I started putting her in the big bathtub. For a few times, I got in there with her. Felt kind of wierd about that, so I put a bikini on! Strange, I know, for such a natural thing.

Anways, then I eventually put her in there by herself. Filled it up to just under her chest so that she wouldn't get too cold. I put some bath toys in there and she loves chewing away on them. She is just starting to get interested in splashing and noticing her arms and legs are bouyant in the water.

And then when we're done, I make sure the bathroom is warm enough so she isn't shivering (too much) and I wrap her really really tight in a towel and sing her a song to get her mind off of being cold and by the time I'm done singing, she's diapered and into her p.j.'s. And then daddy comes in to finish the job by combing and "styling" her few strands of hair and checking out her ears (outside only) with the q-tip. Now she's fine with bathtime.

My expectation was like yours...don't all babies love bathtime?!

Let us know what finally ends up working for you.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby caitlynsmama » Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:28 am

by caitlynsmama (436 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 06:28 am

Thank you for your responses! Update-we tried the bath together last night with bath toys and she did not get hysterical which is good. I just have to ease her into it, I guess. My Mom helps keep her during the day and she has given her baths before. She says she does not have a problem. I think Grandmas just want to come out looking like the good guy sometimes though[:)] If anyone has any other tricks, I am more than open to suggestions.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Postby mada » Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:11 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:11 am

Glad things went a little better for you guys. So, grandma says that Caitlyn doesn't have a problem when she gives her a bath?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby deerhart » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:18 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:18 am

both my kids hated baths because they were cold and the water was to close to them laying down. Once they started sitting up I can't keep them OUT of the water.

One thing we did was to steam up the bathroom well before hand to keep it warm and to use little to no water in the baby bathtub. My oldest son to this day still hates getting his hair wet, but we are working on ways around that problem (he has FINALLY learned how to tilt his head back and I learned how to wash hair extremely fast).

Some children just don't take to water and some do.
You might also find out how Grandma is giving the bath and try copying that at home since she seems to be fine that way.
One other thing is that the everything that is going on my at the time be over stimulating. You might try washing half of her and keeping the other half dressed and then switching. Also, changing the time of day that she gets her bath may help as well as she may be sleepy and it awakens her or she wants to play during the time now.

HTH
Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby akemt » Wed Apr 14, 2004 03:46 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 03:46 pm

Just one thought on the Grandma issue...

I've heard "grandmas" talk about the crying stuff and it may be that she doesn't have a problem with it as opposed to your daughter not having one. The explanation I was given is that when you know everything is fine and you aren't the parent thinking you have to "fix" whatever the problem may be (apparently that urge slowly dissipates) even if there isn't a real problem, then you can put up with the crying better. So, it may be that she is willing to let your daughter get a little upset thinking there isn't really anything wrong? That really sounded bad the way I wrote it, but does that make sense? LOL And honestly I don't know about the sensory stuff.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby pugmommy7 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:09 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 07:09 pm

Bella SCREAMED hysterically at first.
Then we tried a few things that worked.
1st, we got one of those yellow teddy bear shaped sponges from wal-mart. I think it was like $3.99.
It held her little 4 pound body nice and still and wicked the water up and kept her nice and warm.
Once she was too big for the baby bathtub, we took her in with one of us.
My husband and I still feel that was one of the greatest parts of parenting. It also helped w/ trust issues a few months later when we began 6+ mos. swimming classes.

Now she is a "big girl"[;)], and takes about 50 toys w/ her into the tub. We have a few shampooing tricks, but she still hates that part, too bad when you have peas smooshed in your hair[:o)].

Good luck, hope this helps.
Love, Jennifer

p.s., we have found some senory issues leftover from NICU, like wiping her nose, I know all babies hate it, but she used to FREAK OUT! nasal gavage etc,
-and messing with her hands or wrists too much. iv's,etc.

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby hutced » Thu Apr 15, 2004 07:53 am

by hutced (263 Posts), Thu Apr 15, 2004 07:53 am

My son really hated sponge baths. I have got in tub with him and layed him on his back and gently swayed him back and forth in the water with his head on my arm out of the water quite a-ways while singing to him that really calms him when nothing else works. Now he likes sitting in the sink or baby tub with water up to his waist but hates getting in and out of the bath, I guess he gets cold. Also he doesn't like getting his ears wet for some reason.

I hope you find something that works for Caitlyn, I know how stressful it can be.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hutced/
hutced

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies