Oligo

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Oligo

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 09, 2003 06:12 pm

Okay, so I asked this question in the "ask the experts" section and am waiting for a response.

Anyone know the stats on getting Oligo again? With or without PIH/PE...either way you find them.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Re : Oligo

Postby mada » Wed Dec 10, 2003 07:08 am

I actually have a question? I've seen Oligo mentioned a few times and darnett, I have no idea what it is....So, if you would be so kind.....Thanks...

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby paljane8 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 08:31 am

Hey Guys,

Oligo is short for Oligohydramnios which is the technical jargon for low amniotic fluid. Few of us can spell it so we shorten it to Oligo [:)]. The range for normal fluid is 8-25 cm and the drs like to see you around 15 or so. As far as whether or not you will have it again, Catherine, it depends. One of the reasons for oligo is placental complications-it stops or limits production of nutrients so the baby recycles what is there. The baby is not peeing as much to preserve him or herself. Some of the problems for baby is that it can affect the development of vital organs and also the baby can lay on the cord and compress it. PIH and PE are linked to placental problems. The rise in your bp reduces blood flow to baby and that can result in oligo. But, not everyone with PIH or PE have low fluid. Each pregnancy is different, so hopefully you won't have any PIH/PE or oligo this time around. I did not have oligo with my 3rd preg but, I had PE. I had PIH, low blood flow and problems with the placenta with my 4th resulting is oligo. I hovered around 5.8-6.1cm for weeks. The magic number that my dr would have taken the baby was 5 cm or below. Our little Laura was down to 3 cm when they took Camile. Catherine, do you have hypertension when you are not preg? Hope this helps and hope this is an easy preg for you!

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby akemt » Wed Dec 10, 2003 09:59 am

Nancy, no I don't have hypertension when not pregnant but could definately see myself as a candidate for chronic hypertension eventually atleast. My brother has it (he's about 9 years my elder) and I am a full sized woman! lol My blood pressure did go back to normal after delivery with the help of some meds and a month or two. We are planning on taking a break after this baby so I'm hoping I can drop some good poundage before another try.

FYI: My oligo hit a 7...if it hadn't improved I'd have been flown out to Seattle or Anchorage...had it worsened, delivery. It was scarier than the thought of PIH turning into PE for me. Being told at 29 wks to prepare to leave town and have her was awful and then waiting week after week for her to show signs of problems was just terrible. Talk about messing with your emotions. The whole time, while I knew prematurity was a big risk, I just wished that they would take her while we knew she was healthy instead of waiting for her to show problems. I do hope I don't go through that again. I was asking the question because I met a woman online who had oligo with her 3rd and 4th babies, though no connection to PE. Sorry, going on and on...lol

Thanks for your responses!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Return to Ask the Experienced