Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Opinions on restricting salt for PIH?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Opinions on restricting salt for PIH?

Postby alysa » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:55 am

by alysa (38 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:55 am

My first preg. when my PIH reached an ultimate high, I remember craving Pork rinds and salty foods. I remember though, every time I ate anything with sodium I thought I was worse and avoided sodium completely. Now unlike earlier in my currently preg. I am craving pickles like crazy. [;)]
I have heard from people conflicting things about salt intake - or lessening it during preg. to watch out for bp. I thought lowering amount of sodium intake, yet not avoiding it, was the right thing to do. Yet, a blood test I recently had showed low sodium levels and my bp has still been going up. I was checking out this site and this info. says not to avoid salt, and I guess not restrict it during preg. http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/pih.shtml <-- had some good info.

My opinion is not to overdo it with salt, and I am definite this time around I will not avoid it completely.

Just wanted to know anyone else's thoughts about this. Thanks.

Alysa

Chloe (Feb 99, born 37 wks PIH)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Re : Opinions on restricting salt for PIH?

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:10 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:10 am

Hi Alysa!
I have seen that 'study' as well. It makes sense to me. As my sodium levels have been low as well. Although; when I eat salt in a high intake I swell like a mad women! I can not eat any kind of fast food. My ankles and feet swell really bad. I would not avoid the foods you crave completely. Just in moderation! Thats my two cents. LOL

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby akemt » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:33 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:33 am

Alysa,

THe blue ribbon place is the Brewer's diet right? There has been alot of discussion reguarding that here:

www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=839&SearchTerms=brewers
www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=788&SearchTerms=brewers
www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287

I also beleive that moderate, healthy salt intake is the way to go, not salt-free. Though my old-school Aunt would disagree! lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:47 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:47 am

Catherine, Your right, it is the Brewer diet. While some makes sense to me, some dont! For obvious reasons! lol

When I had my first son, I was told by my VERY old OB to cut out my salt intake. I had, and not gotton any better. When I was transfered to a larger hospital, I remember them bringing me breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, etc. I told them that at the other hospital I was on a no salt diet. They sent a peri in to talk to me and he told me his 'theories' of NO salt. And he said salt in moderation was FINE!
I have not been told 'no salt' again by an OB through a pregnancy. Not sure if they have gotton a little wiser to the 'myths' or what. lol

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby sweetiesuzy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:57 am

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:57 am

In my experience both as a registered nurse and patient, everything is fine in moderation. There are different medical providers that say to cut salt completely while others say it makes no difference. I suppose some believe that if you are going to develop pre e you are going to regardless.
I hope that makes sense.

Suzanna

PS - I don't like the Brewers Diet [:D]
sweetiesuzy

Postby alysa » Wed Dec 10, 2003 06:11 pm

by alysa (38 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 06:11 pm

I'll look into the Brewer's diet more, not all diets work for everyone. I think I agree not to cut salt out this time around. I like diet by The Zone. It's basically how to eat balanced. - For me, I'm hypoglycemic (opposite of diabeties), and I'm supposed to avoid sugars but natural sugars I have to have balanced by protiens. Basically my personal "food pyramid" is balanced portions - not overdoing them - of:
1.Protien/Meats
2.Veggies/Fruits
3.Carbohydrates
4.(Healthy)Fats
Basically for me I'm supposed to do this 6 x's a day small portions to avoid incidents of low blood sugar... Actually this diet is good for losing weight (When not preg. of course! - which doesn't help my high metabolism though).

Thanks for all your opinions[:)]
p.s. I will be eating pickles "in moderation", that is till I crave something else ;)

Alysa

Chloe (Feb 99, born 37 wks PIH)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby deerhart » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:41 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:41 am

as a pregnant woman you should NOT remove salt from your diet. Salt is an important part of our body chemistry and the baby needs it. With that you shouldn't over due it either.

As for PE, a low sodium diet will not end your BP woes because its not really a contributing factor for most woman. Salt should be taken in moderation (salt to taste) just like you would with no complications.

2 things some doctors still tell you that current medical liturature goes against is water pills (duretics) and cut out salt for PE problems.. both are now warned against.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby amandab » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:50 am

by amandab (166 Posts), Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:50 am

Salt definitely contributes to my BP problems even when I am not pg. If I have several salty meals in a row (mexican, chinese, pizza, etc.), my BP will rise pretty signicantly. My cardiologist says that most people today eat too much salt. Just about all eat-out or take-out meals are loaded with salt, and most people eat out quite frequently. This is why doctors still tell us to cut back. He says that most people that cook their own meals don't need to cut back. Unfortunately, I like to eat out so I do have to make an effort to not get too much salt.

Every woman is different. Making sure I eat a reasonable amount of salt seems to help my BP significantly so I stick with it.

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Return to Ask the Experienced